Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will VN headlights and grille fit VP?

dashdown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S Commodore SII
I own a VP ute with a stock front end. I like the look of some of the VN grilles going around, and I know that the grille is a different shape to the VP, but if you swap out the headlights and grille from a VN can you keep the VP indicators? I really don't want to get two whole new left and right panels for VN indicators.

Cheers.

flexcenlexcen

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6 auto acclaim and vn lexcen v6 manual
yes it will all bolt in but nothing will line up vp head lights dont stick out as far as vn so there may be a clearance issue on the bar the vn indicators will go on vp head lights but the edge at which they meet wont line up vn indicators dont wrap around as far so big holes are left and i think grill mount holes in the front bar are further out from the rad support on a vn than vp the screw holes in the rad support are in the same spot
also vq front end parts are the same as vn

flexcenlexcen

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6 auto acclaim and vn lexcen v6 manual
what about taking the vn grill you want to put in to the vp front and cut off the brackets only the screw holes themselves and the pegs underneath and take your old vp grill cut off those brackets and attach them to the vn grill getting the angle right to line up with the vp head lights keep in mind the front edge of both vn and vp bonnets are the same so it may require the under side of the vn grill to be cut down or trimmed to fit the top edge of the vp bar

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
short answer no. grille matches headlights, headlights match indicators, indicators match guards. none of the vp stiff will look right with a vn front bar...

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
btw to clarify above, even on series 2 vq statesman/caprice is slightly oddball. it has vp lights but vn lenses to match into vn blinkers with a vp front bar.
When I replaced my headlights, I bought vp thinking it'd fit because my housings matched vp with the extra mounting tabs for vp grille....
Nope, had to reuse my original glass lenses on the new housings.
What my s2 caprice has from what I've figured out is:
vp housings with vn lenses
vp guards with repeaters but vn shape blinkers
vp front bar
and the caprice grille bolted to the bonnet as per usual.
This is all factory how they came for stato so Op would have to change headlight lenses to match into his vn grille but then he'll hit the blinker problem so he'll need s2 statesman guards and use vn blinkers

dashdown98

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S Commodore SII
Thanks guys.

I reckon I'll stick with the VP front and probably look for a clubsport or SS front bumper to make it a bit more sporty. I haven't seen many VP utes going around so it's good to have something a bit different.