Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will vs market go up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Esteem S2
I am slowly doing up my vs esteem v6 and I was wondering if the prices will eventually go up for this model since Holden has now closed down. Im looking to bring it back to very good condition and slowly do the motor up or swap it for a ls1. Thanks guys

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Prices for most cars do go up after time....The time frame who knows.....It could be 10 years, it could be 50 years.....Just because Holden has closed, doesn't mean the price should go up.....The prices generally go up as particular models become harder to find

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I think a v8 ute or car would be better to save but who knows what the future may bring. If the v6 was a low kilometre vehicle then perhaps.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Also there's also a huge factor of whether a model is or was loved and that certainly plays a big part. VL is one of those that was a bit of a strange situation, originally it was loathed due to the Japanese engine replacing the Aussie 6 and Holden being seen as a bunch of traitors but once people test drove it and word got around that it was Holden's best ever car made up to then, then people's perception changed. Once VN came out many people thought that the VN was an ugly looking car and went searching for low Km examples of the VL model in it's various luxury levels and engine combinations, especially the Turbo variants. I bought my low Km VL Berlina back in 1990 and even then it was hard to find a really good one at a sensible price. I paid $14,500 for it back then and sold it 6 years later for 9K when most were fetching around 3 to 4 K.

So the topic of VS comes around and yes I have 4 really good ones, but do I think they'll be something to crow about in a few years time.................I think not. Ok really good Ecotec examples will hold a reasonable price, but they won't skyrocket that's for sure. The original V8's on the other hand will most certainly hold a good figure to a certain few, but who knows how the changing landscape of the Automotive industry will affect pricing of older cars.

Some people think that just because a car reaches a vintage age that it'll be worth heaps...........well I'll call BS on that theory, just take the mighty Mitsubishi Sigma as an example. It is the only Japanese orientated car that no matter how good of a condition it's in will only fetch around $1,500 tops while Datsun 120Y's are appealing to the masses again it seems, yes to slot rotaries into I know.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Also there's also a huge factor of whether a model is or was loved and that certainly plays a big part. VL is one of those that was a bit of a strange situation, originally it was loathed due to the Japanese engine replacing the Aussie 6 and Holden being seen as a bunch of traitors but once people test drove it and word got around that it was Holden's best ever car made up to then, then people's perception changed. Once VN came out many people thought that the VN was an ugly looking car and went searching for low Km examples of the VL model in it's various luxury levels and engine combinations, especially the Turbo variants. I bought my low Km VL Berlina back in 1990 and even then it was hard to find a really good one at a sensible price. I paid $14,500 for it back then and sold it 6 years later for 9K when most were fetching around 3 to 4 K.

So the topic of VS comes around and yes I have 4 really good ones, but do I think they'll be something to crow about in a few years time.................I think not. Ok really good Ecotec examples will hold a reasonable price, but they won't skyrocket that's for sure. The original V8's on the other hand will most certainly hold a good figure to a certain few, but who knows how the changing landscape of the Automotive industry will affect pricing of older cars.

Some people think that just because a car reaches a vintage age that it'll be worth heaps...........well I'll call BS on that theory, just take the mighty Mitsubishi Sigma as an example. It is the only Japanese orientated car that no matter how good of a condition it's in will only fetch around $1,500 tops while Datsun 120Y's are appealing to the masses again it seems, yes to slot rotaries into I know.

Honestly mate, it is a difficult call....

I follow Valiants and up until about 10 years ago, you could buy them for $500 in fairly decent nick....Now crappy ones, that are rusted to the buggery are fetching $2,000 upwards. That's not including base model chargers...

So this era Commodore.....I can't see them fetching millions, but possibily in 30 + years we may see the same situation as I have just mentioned with Valiants.....Crazy money for clapped out base models, with the more desirable V8 models fetching stupid money for what they actually are

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The value of any car in the future is determined by three factors. Age, rarity and condition. You can only control the third factor.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
And interest is the major factor as that creates the demand.

With the amount of plastics used in the more modern cars it's really going to be tough to replace all that stuff opposed to Valiants that are mainly steel and that stuff can easily and more cheaply be remade and restored while plastics and the thousands of components that are all dried out and brittle just won't be cost effective.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
The value of any car in the future is determined by three factors. Age, rarity and condition. You can only control the third factor.
And who is buying it. In 20 - 30 years? I don't think many of the people around today who would want one, wont be around then?

I can't see the milennials, would be wanting buy one either?

I could be wrong too?:eek:

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
And interest is the major factor as that creates the demand.

I see interest as the only factor for prices. The way I see it is in the people growing up now will not have the same interest in car brands as we do now. Most young kids will say what is a Holden? Lets say we compare the VS commodore which is what this thread started as and tell them this is what was big in our time, they compare it to other cars around and think what's so good about it? It will be slower, less equipped, use more fuel (if cars are still running it and allowed to run it), be less comfortable etc etc than many other models that are around now or be out later so what is the attraction to these people? You can tell them it was a Holden and we haven't had one of those for years but I can't see them caring as much as we do ourselves right now so my thoughts to the original question here is I think short term many Holdens will increase in value purely because many will think they will be worth money or just want to own a Holden for the sake of it but in time prices will decrease again. You can't read the time frame for this but the average everyday Holden to me is pointless in owning if you want something valuable, you need to source a high end or limited run model for it to be of any value but again in time even they will decrease

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I followValiants and up until about 10 years ago, you could buy them for $500 in fairly decent nick....Now crappy ones, that are rusted to the buggery are fetching $2,000 upwards. That's not including base model chargers...

Haven't see a complete Valiant for $2K or under for a few years now.

http://petesclassiccars.com.au/cars-for-sale-2/
1970 CHRYSLER VG REGAL RESTORATION PROJECT , 6 CYL AUTO , HEMI MOTOR WITH CAIN INLET MANIFOLD AND HOLLEY CARB , RUNS AND DRIVES $7900 ONO

Screenshot_20200320-180455~2.png