Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will you ever buy another Holden?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ You, like I, are buying Commodores for reasons that the majority of the market doesn't.
You don't care too much about size, apparently, because getting an Audi that approaches the size of a Commodore means spending $100k+ (and that's for the 1.8L-engined version) and you can't get an A6 with a manual either. However, size is one of the first things the vast majority of new car buyers look at when they're deciding on what to buy.

Manuals are getting harder to find ... does the S1 even come in manual?
Pretty sure the A45 doesn't ... M2 does, dunno about S3; but these are considerably more exxy than an SSVR both in purchase-price & TCO.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
It really is a depends thing, I've always loved and owned large cars - hate with a passion smaller cars and only drive them out of sufferance.

So I guess we'll wait and see what GM have in store, but given their history I doubt they will make cars we want to sell in this market.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
S1, S3, BMW all come in stick. Only the Merc doesn't.

^ You, like I, are buying Commodores for reasons that the majority of the market doesn't.
You don't care too much about size, apparently, because getting an Audi that approaches the size of a Commodore means spending $100k+ (and that's for the 1.8L-engined version) and you can't get an A6 with a manual either. However, size is one of the first things the vast majority of new car buyers look at when they're deciding on what to buy.

Manuals are getting harder to find ... does the S1 even come in manual?
Pretty sure the A45 doesn't ... M2 does, dunno about S3; but these are considerably more exxy than an SSVR both in purchase-price & TCO.

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I wont buy another holden again but not sure what will replace VF redline. Im thinking maybe an SUV!

Snoop

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY14 VF
Let's just wind back to 1978...
If we had the internet, forums, and social media back then, we'd be reading the exact same thing!
This is exactly what people said back when this 'piece of crap' European designed car was released.
Funnily enough, here we all are today... driving a Commodore! ;)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
fair point Snoop, but for me personally GM have gone through phases where imo at least their cars just weren't buying at all - late 70's, 80's and 90's up until the VT - nope. I know that's a big stretch but honestly I thought GM made terrible cars for a long time and the VT righted the ship.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I wont buy another holden again but not sure what will replace VF redline. Im thinking maybe an SUV!
That's really sad to hear. :(

fair point Snoop, but for me personally GM have gone through phases where imo at least their cars just weren't buying at all - late 70's, 80's and 90's up until the VT - nope. I know that's a big stretch but honestly I thought GM made terrible cars for a long time and the VT righted the ship.
Well, if we're talking about the cars themselves, Opels are generally better than Daewoos. Ignoring the Insignia (which I don't actually remember being as bad as people seem to say they are ... Top Gear liked it), Astras and XC Barinas were better than Epicas and Malibus and Cruzes and Vivas.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
I will, but wont be brand new ;)

R

Risky

Having owned/driven/borrowed/fettled on Holdens since the HK, I'll most likely buy a decent 2nd hand ones after the closure. I'm still happy with my VY ute which I intend to keep for a long time.

I never really cared for the Daewoo sourced Holdens, so hopefully the Opel based ones will be adapted properly for Aussie conditions.