Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will ZB be the end of GM in Australia

Discussion in 'ZB Holden Commodore (2018)' started by vs-lover, Jun 14, 2018.

1. vs-lover

vs-lover Active Member

Members Ride:
    VS Series II Calais, VS Series II Exec Wagon
    Well I spoke to a friend of mine at a prominent Holden Dealership in Adelaide yesterday and he has informed me that they have sold a whole 5 ZB's since their release. They still have many new VF's in stock and just about all their sales are made up of Colorado's and a few Equinox's.

Holden are sadly locked into Peugeot for 5 years with the ZB and only then will they be able to change to a totally new GM platform vehicle to replace the current model. By then it may well be too late.

BTW I've heard that SA's Police department SAPOL have signed off on buying the ZB as the normal patrol vehicle to replace the current VF model fleet. Not sure if this is going to be the AWD V6 version or the 4 banger. Before the cessation of VF production at Elizabeth, Holden produced many extra Heron white VF's for longevity of the models use as a Police Patrol vehicle.

Meanwhile SAPOL is hanging on to VF's right up to 90,000~95,000 kilometres opposed to the normal 2 Year / 60,000 km/s disposal point. Most Patrol cars last no more than 12 months in the system as the 60,000 Km's comes up way before the 2 year deadline arrives.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Pablito, losh1971 and monstar like this.
  2. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    Have only seen two on the road since their release. A very different story to previous model releases.

Tonner Matt likes this.
  3. VT&VX

VT&VX Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim
    The bloke across the road had a ZB rental for a few days. His regular car was being serviced.

4. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    So that`s 3 on the road then:p

5. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    I saw a ZB Calais wagon on the weekend. My first and only. Ugly looking thing with those plastic "flares" for want of a better term.

Only ever seen two Stingers too.

6. Noeleter

Noeleter Active Member

Members Ride:
    VEII Equipe Sportwagon
    Have seen a few more Stingers around Brisbane. Also had a look at a couple at a Kia dealer the other day while I was there. Didn't have a drive but they are a stunning looking car inside and out.

7. apollo13

apollo13 Member

Members Ride:
    VE LPG
    In the USA, some police departments hung on to their Ford Crown Victorias for years after production ceased.

8. VT&VX

VT&VX Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim
    Yes I thought I had spotted a few KIA Stingers over the last few weeks and was beginning to think ho hum, until a lower sleeker KIA pulled up next to the other KIA.
    Now I have seen Stingers. I don't know what the other similarly sized KIA is.

9. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8 series 3, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory.
    Optima (FWD).
    I have looked at a couple thinking they were a Stinger. Same general shape and size which makes me wonder why a large FWD sedan can't be built as a RWD using a modified platform.
    I'm sure that Holden (as it used to be ) would have hade the expertise to make the Opeldore a RWD using VE/VF bits..

losh1971 likes this.
  10. dah_man_ben

dah_man_ben Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline Oct '17, Mazda 6
    Yep, I think they are knackered, well the Holden brand is. I drove a ZB recently and wasn't impressed. Holden only sold 1040 Commodores last month - 885 were ZBs and 645 of those went to rental car companies. The other 240?... dealer demos, government, and private buyers. Obviously nobody is buying these things. Here in Adelaide I have barely seen more than 5 on the road since they launched. Commodore isn't even in the top 20 in anymore. Toyota sold 2396 Land Cruisers and 4385 Hiluxes in the same month.

In saying all of that, I don't think GM would really care if Holden itself died as a brand, they would still flog their other rubbish under whatever GM brands they wanted, and I am sure GM itself will remain in Australia for a long time but I think the brand name of Holden is on borrowed time, especially since the only car they produced to their name was the Commodore which is no longer selling or even made or designed by 'Holden'.

GM/Holden executives could win the platinum award on 'how to root a company', they have completely stuffed it.

Commo Baba likes this.
  11. Mike Litherous

Mike Litherous Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE ssv
    Sad but u gotta make cars people want. And you should have some aspirational models. Is the CEO going to drive around in a new commodore. Prob not.

Ford (the previous laughing stock) seem to be doing much better as they have some popular cars being the mustang, ranger, festva, and focus. All are decent cars in their own right with abit of substance behind them. As for Holden, other than the VF commodore which is a cracker when they run out, all they have left are white goods on wheels.

Without a c/ $60k asprational model they will just become another Peugeot.

12. VT&VX

VT&VX Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim
    Have you seen the Supercar races lately. Those ZB's aren't FWD

13. Pablito

Pablito Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Redline
    The ZB alone won't be the end of GM in oz, the last 10 years of **** holden served up will be.
    A long time friend, who works for Holden, that i catch up with a couple times a year said this. He says the early troublesome Craptivas hurt future/current SUV sales for them as customers think anything they sell now is just a rebadged one of those **** boxes. Same with the smaller cars because of the rubbish Astras and Vectras from some years back.
    The Colorados don't have the best reputation (oil burners) and speaking from experience, the RA Rodeos engine failures of the mid 2000's steered a lot of people away who never came back.
    The Australian made commodore is probably the only car in their line up that had loyal customers. That's done with now, so i guess the ZB is the final straw.....

Zeke Topanaga, VT&VX and figjam like this.
  14. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    I had sorta worked it out that the ZBs were not FWD 2 litres, just like the Nissan Altima was not a RWD V8.
    But the Supergocarts have not been Holdens or Falcons since I dunno when. I am still trying to come to terms with the fact that they are awesome racing machines that bear no resemblance to any road car. It has been a long evolution road from Series Production.

Back onto the OP subject, if you can distance yourself from the more job losses that will be inevitable within GM/Holden, I don’t care if either survive, as long as I can get replacement parts for my current Aus built cars. (Yep …. stuff you GM, as long as I’m OK)

15. vs-lover

vs-lover Active Member

Members Ride:
    Well if GM pull out of Australia, do you think they'll supply any parts for any of their previously built cars ?

I think not. Now that's got you thinkin'

BTW the only resemblance to the road cars that the V8's Supercars have is their shape, apart from that they are a kit car.

16. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    No. That's the scary bit. I don't think they would even bother to consider it.
    So my next port of call in that scenario would have to be either RareSpares, or the nearest Cheap Chinese Car Shop for a disposable car..
    ( I have 2 Holdens that are on the endangered species list now.)

17. blackve76

blackve76 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
    Add the timing chain VE issues and holden rep is avg at best, years ago average build quality but very reliable not anymore

18. vs-lover

vs-lover Active Member

Members Ride:
    and truthfully even though they claimed that Alloytech engines built from the 18th of May 2008 were ok, there still seems to be quite a few from 2011 etc that are still failing. Will be interesting to see if VF built 6 cylinder engines still end up falling foul of this issue.

19. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

From memory, they are oblidged to supply parts for 10 years (I think)....Been like that since I can't remember when....After that, it has always been the aftermarket people taking over.

20. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    That may be so, however if GM shuts Holden down, there is no one for the Govt or anyone else to hold to account under the requirement.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018 at 6:34 AM
    losh1971 likes this.