Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will ZB be the end of GM in Australia

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Well I spoke to a friend of mine at a prominent Holden Dealership in Adelaide yesterday and he has informed me that they have sold a whole 5 ZB's since their release. They still have many new VF's in stock and just about all their sales are made up of Colorado's and a few Equinox's.

Holden are sadly locked into Peugeot for 5 years with the ZB and only then will they be able to change to a totally new GM platform vehicle to replace the current model. By then it may well be too late.

BTW I've heard that SA's Police department SAPOL have signed off on buying the ZB as the normal patrol vehicle to replace the current VF model fleet. Not sure if this is going to be the AWD V6 version or the 4 banger. Before the cessation of VF production at Elizabeth, Holden produced many extra Heron white VF's for longevity of the models use as a Police Patrol vehicle.

Meanwhile SAPOL is hanging on to VF's right up to 90,000~95,000 kilometres opposed to the normal 2 Year / 60,000 km/s disposal point. Most Patrol cars last no more than 12 months in the system as the 60,000 Km's comes up way before the 2 year deadline arrives.

Last edited:

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Have only seen two on the road since their release. A very different story to previous model releases.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Have only seen two on the road since their release. A very different story to previous model releases.

The bloke across the road had a ZB rental for a few days. His regular car was being serviced.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
So that`s 3 on the road then:p

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I saw a ZB Calais wagon on the weekend. My first and only. Ugly looking thing with those plastic "flares" for want of a better term.

Only ever seen two Stingers too.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Have seen a few more Stingers around Brisbane. Also had a look at a couple at a Kia dealer the other day while I was there. Didn't have a drive but they are a stunning looking car inside and out.

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
Meanwhile SAPOL is hanging on to VF's right up to 90,000~95,000 kilometres opposed to the normal 2 Year / 60,000 km/s disposal point. Most Patrol cars last no more than 12 months in the system as the 60,000 Km's comes up way before the 2 year deadline arrives.

In the USA, some police departments hung on to their Ford Crown Victorias for years after production ceased.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Have seen a few more Stingers around Brisbane

Yes I thought I had spotted a few KIA Stingers over the last few weeks and was beginning to think ho hum, until a lower sleeker KIA pulled up next to the other KIA.
Now I have seen Stingers. I don't know what the other similarly sized KIA is.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Now I have seen Stingers. I don't know what the other similarly sized KIA is.

Optima (FWD).
I have looked at a couple thinking they were a Stinger. Same general shape and size which makes me wonder why a large FWD sedan can't be built as a RWD using a modified platform.
I'm sure that Holden (as it used to be ) would have hade the expertise to make the Opeldore a RWD using VE/VF bits..

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
Yep, I think they are knackered, well the Holden brand is. I drove a ZB recently and wasn't impressed. Holden only sold 1040 Commodores last month - 885 were ZBs and 645 of those went to rental car companies. The other 240?... dealer demos, government, and private buyers. Obviously nobody is buying these things. Here in Adelaide I have barely seen more than 5 on the road since they launched. Commodore isn't even in the top 20 in anymore. Toyota sold 2396 Land Cruisers and 4385 Hiluxes in the same month.

In saying all of that, I don't think GM would really care if Holden itself died as a brand, they would still flog their other rubbish under whatever GM brands they wanted, and I am sure GM itself will remain in Australia for a long time but I think the brand name of Holden is on borrowed time, especially since the only car they produced to their name was the Commodore which is no longer selling or even made or designed by 'Holden'.

GM/Holden executives could win the platinum award on 'how to root a company', they have completely stuffed it.