Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will ZB be the end of GM in Australia

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I guess we all thought the last VF's would be snapped up, but it seems there are still quite a few around. I wonder if any will remain unsold by 2019? And how would you market them, given that cars from only last year are generally discounted heavily. But from two years? Hmmm.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Good to see the price has come down at some dealers. There's some available for just under 60k drive away. 6 months ago when i was considering buying a series 2 Redline they were asking 65k + on roads and not budging on price. "Won't last long" was the word.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
That's my point, they were price gouging. The extra charges had no basis in reality.

The reality was, that Holden told them to charge that much...

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
The reality was, that Holden told them to charge that much...
Perhaps, but there were still some who were charging reasonable amounts, so who knows..

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Perhaps, but there were still some who were charging reasonable amounts, so who knows..

They were the dealers who didn't piss off their customers...

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
I've been a Holden man for over fifty years since dad bought an FC in 1965. I've gone to the dealers every time a new model was released, even getting an advance viewing of the HK two weeks before they were let loose on the public. Every new model since 1968. Until now. I still haven't bothered to go to the local dealer and look the ZB over. And I don't know if, or when, I will.
Similar situation for me but only dating back to VL. I've owned every model since then and always looked forward to the next model like an excited kid. Love my commodores, bordering on fanatically so the demise of the Australian built family size version has left me in limbo. I have had a few looks at the ZB out of curiosity and have left both times shaking my head. Stupidly the local dealer had the ZB parked close enough to a VF2 Redline that i could look back and forth from one to the other. The brain just couldn't comprehend how the two cars could wear the same name.
It's just a real shitty situation for dinosaurs like me who grew up loving these cars and always thought the next one was always coming.
The ZB looks like a mazda 6 in person. Ok if you're into that. But for me who likes the tough/masculine style commodore has always had the ZB looks like a mum car.
All reviews say they are a nice car and nice to drive. So I'm not knocking them as a car. I'm just saying that to a long term V8 commodore buyer, they are a major dissapointment.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
^^^ and that is the crux of the problem, it's probably not a bad car but it's not a Commodore. Holden/GM were banking on the heritage of the name to maintain the sales, sadly it seems they don't really know their (former) customer base that well after all.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
To me owning a Holden or Ford used to be about your heritage. Back when I was at school you were either a Holden man or Ford man, you even had the jackets to prove it and often this was based on the preferences of your parents, myself hating Fords but loving Holden's. There was the few Chrysler blokes but they were few and far between and they dropped off even more once the Chrysler's pulled out of their two Adelaide factories. And if you drove a Jap car it was nearly always called Jap Crap. When I think back when the Commodore was introduced some of the folk sort of lost the nostalgia of what was really known back then as the true Holden's, those being the H Series and it's predecessors plus some of the Torana's. I remember that it took a while for people in my circles to warm to the Commodore, some used to even say Commodores were not true Holden's. I guess the difference now is that the ZB is so far removed from an old Holden or even late Commodore it's not funny. I wonder if they would have done better to have at least kept the ZB range as RWD, instead of playing follow the leader.

Half the problem way back when you were a Holden fan or Ford fan and not so much a Chrysler fan, was because those were the 2 manufacturers dominating Bathurst. If you owned a Chrysler, you were frowned upon....Now, Chryslers are actually making a bit of a researgence in the old car stakes....Whilst they aren't commanding the high prices with their desirables, as the equivilant Holden and Ford, they are actually getting the respect they actually yearned for way back when they were produced

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Half the problem way back when you were a Holden fan or Ford fan and not so much a Chrysler fan, was because those were the 2 manufacturers dominating Bathurst. If you owned a Chrysler, you were frowned upon....Now, Chryslers are actually making a bit of a researgence in the old car stakes....Whilst they aren't commanding the high prices with their desirables, as the equivilant Holden and Ford, they are actually getting the respect they actually yearned for way back when they were produced

I was recently talking to the dealer principal at my Holden dealer , who started out as a parts assistant, when it was a Chrysler dealer ,
And in New Zealand, Chrysler’s were bought by wealth well to do farmers, as the NZ assembled Chrysler was a bit better that the Australian built ones , and the Ford and Holden as well .