Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will ZB be the end of GM in Australia

Discussion in 'ZB Holden Commodore (2018)' started by vs-lover, Jun 14, 2018.

1. uz3r

uz3r Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V
    Here's the reason why the ZB will fail - its not because its imported, not because its FWD or missing a V8 - it will fail because GM are playing in a world were people who are buying mid-large sedans want nice things and fancy gizmos and its 2018 and GM are STILL pumping out brand new cars with out-of-date nav software!

https://www.motoring.com.au/holden-calais-v-2018-review-113499/

2. dah_man_ben

dah_man_ben Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline Oct '17, Mazda 6
    No - I know what a Rodeo is (was). I just mean that so many people refer to imported Holdens as Daewoos on the fact that they are traditionally a crap GM brand, and the imports Holden are flogging are of similar quality.

3. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VXII Clubsport
    how can you not Rodeo was around for maybe 30 years?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Rodeo

4. dah_man_ben

dah_man_ben Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline Oct '17, Mazda 6
  5. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VXII Clubsport
    Nevermind read your post wrong.
    as you were.

dah_man_ben likes this.
  6. vs-lover

vs-lover Active Member

Members Ride:
    VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
  7. vs-lover

vs-lover Active Member

Members Ride:
    Yes sending you to Petrol Stations that aren't there aint that great, but many cars are heading to Electric so that's even worse isn't it.

Well GM will still be making fossil fuelled cars long after the rest of the world has gone to alternative power sources I'm sure.

8. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    The question begs.....Everyone is painting the picture of doom and gloom for Holden....Ford import a RWD V8, have a fairly good selection of 4WD's, FWD's etc etc...They closed their doors to manufacturing cars in this country 12 months prior to Holden and Toyota and their sales figures overall the last time I looked were worse that Holden. Yet, there doesn't seem to be any negative press about them....Why?

The negative press, I don't mean on here, but through motoring magazines nor in the newspaper...

Honestly, I think it's people on this forum willing them to die....Might be wrong

9. Skydrol

Skydrol Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    As I said, the one that I own.

https://plants.gm.com/Facilities/public/us/en/wentzville/news.html

"Wentzville Assembly was outfitted so that it can produce both vans and mid-size trucks on a single line and is the only plant producing the Colorado and Canyon in North America. "

Will be dumb to export from the USA, to darn expensive. I will no be surprised, the one you guys get is from somewhere else.

Ok, back to the ZB.

10. vs-lover

vs-lover Active Member

Members Ride:
    I guess this is all because Holden are seen to be an Adelaide based company way before GM ever got involved with them while Ford were always just seen to be an American orientated company along with Chrysler and when they took their bat and ball and left it was just another foreign company bailing on us, while "Holden" is seen to be Australian even though the Americans were really pulling all the strings.

It all goes back to that photo of Ben Chifley standing next to the first Australian built Production car at Fishermans Bend way back in 1948 and the "She's a Beauty" comment. It's part of who we are, but now it's just seen as who we were and that's the bitter pill many of us just can't get our heads, nor our tongues around.

losh1971 and figjam like this.
  11. vs-lover

vs-lover Active Member

Members Ride:
    I guess for the numbers you guys in the States would be buying it would certainly make sense to build in the USA, but in saying that I was incorrect in my statement that all Colorado's were made by Izusu in Thailand. I've always been of the line of thought that most of these car builders only want to produce a model in in one plant and ship from there all over the world opposed to duplicating facilities around the globe for the same product, thus one of the reasons behind the GM plant's closure here in Adelaide, South Australia.

12. Skydrol

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    If I am not mistaken, the 4 Banger MiniMax is build in Thailand and is a joint effort with Isuzu and some other companies. The truck is just assembled in the US for the North American market.

Anyway.... I agree with the prvious post about Ford and Chrysler bailing out and the Holden feel, is like an Aussie company "folding".

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 7:44 AM
  13. vs-lover

vs-lover Active Member

Members Ride:
    I guess the best way to explain it would be to suggest either Chevrolet (General Motors) or Ford leave the USA.

I'm sure that it would feel much like the end of the world if that was to happen.

14. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    Holden was producing cars all over this country....Adelaide just happened to be the only surviving plant producing them, when the other states closed their doors for what ever reason...(Can't remember the exact reason behind it, as it was many many years ago)

I know it is difficult to get our heads around the closure, but of the car manufacturers closing their doors over the last 2 years, Toyota is ahead of Holden in sales and Ford is behind both.....So in reality it's not all doom and gloom as it is being made out to be for Holden....

Time will tell how they go....

15. Skydrol

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    In the way stuff is developing globaly, perhaps you guys can buy Holden for pennies on the Dollar, make it 100% Aussie own and start producing.

Yup, time will tell...

16. blackve76

blackve76 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
    Driving a astra hire car in Tassie atm, well I cant see why you would buy one of these harsh ride and average steering with a really bad turning circle even the average corolla beats it to me.

Haven't seen a ZB here yet

17. VT&VX

VT&VX Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim
    I thought the VOLT was a good concept, like diesel electric lovomotives, in the way the fossil fueled engine is operating at maximum efficiency to charge the battery, but the electric motors are driving the wheels.
    That simplifies the drivetrain and allows the car to operate on just battery if it is charged. You might drive the car for a week without using the petrol motor (unless you wanted AirCon)

Too bad about that. Never heard why it was dropped.

18. VT&VX

VT&VX Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim
    Lack of Government subsidies. The Aussie government was propping up the car companies for decades, just so a thousand workers could get a pay check. The Aussie government should have just paid the workers wages if Holden agreed to be a revolving door for apprentices from a tafe college next door. That is the only way Australia would have hot some value for taxpayer dollars.

In the end, a car factory is just a place where robots work. Real robots, so the factory needs its own 24/7 power station and a conveyor belt of raw materials coming in.

It suprises me why Daewoo or some other car company hasn't bribed our politicians to let them buy a steel refinery and setup a factory of robots next door. It is the kind of stupid thing our overpaid pollies would go for.

19. Paul Smedley

Paul Smedley Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 VF Calais V
    Aussie Colorado is built in the GM plant in Rayong, Thailand.

20. Skydrol

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    As far Daewoo. The conglomerate is dead, Daewoo cars is GM Korea and builds for the Asian market. Some parts still named or carry "Daewoo" as brand name, perhaps the same as GM Holden. Just a shell with a slug inside and a parasite sucking from the host.