Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will ZB be the end of GM in Australia

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
GM don't do this though, they never have. They had access to a lot of cash to improve the cars they make but they are a volume and low margin manufacturer and haven't even tried to do anything but that. Look at the trash they've trotted out for the last 30 off years.

But, the biggest problem they have is an image one - Hyundai were underdogs and the press and public saw them as an up and comer with no baggage - and I'm sorry but many people see Commodore and think "bogan". And even bogans don't think they are or want to be bogans.

I don't even know how they shake that one, because well bogans buy anything cheap and then rip it to bits and glue eBay all over it. Older commodores for the most part are in the hands of these muppets.

GM knew they needed to break that image and the marketing strategy for several years has been away from the bogan market but the bogans keep buying used ones - i kind of think it won't be shaken because people are pretty simple and bogan = commodore is easy shorthand for "I'm not one because I bought brand X instead". Fact is bogans do buy anything but yeah, even someone who goes out buys a brand new Clubsport or something is just then labelled a cashed up bogan. It's a no win for GM, the narrative is written and ingrained in the culture. It's why they need a break from the nameplate, a clean break but they look at our market and as long as they have sales here they don't care really. The dropoff in sales might mean the ZB is the sad footnote to something we should be proud of but many are ashamed of because we've lost any semblance of loyalty and pride in locally made product.

All I can say about this posting is, you need to get out more....

Fact is, people will buy cheap cars and plaster them with what ever crap they want to....It's not a brand specific thing....I see all sorts of makes and models that people do this too...Not just the commodore. In fact, the Commodore would be the least plastered car I see.

Personally I see Holden as trying to produce a car, which blends in with the current trend of cars and who knows whether they will succeed

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Was in Lizbeff yesterday and Peter Page had an RSV wagon sitting low on Simmons sitting in the mall. Must be a thing at the moment dressing them up. It looked ok but Simmons well Tempe? Least they're making an effort to get the looks issue out the road and show what COULD be if you buy one. But still, that badge on the rear just clashed with my sensibilities. Slowly working on swaying opinions, good on them, but didn't looks as good as the black one a few pages back...

Tempe don't sell wheels....Just tyres.....I know first hand, because I got offered a job there 6 months ago, but knocked it back....And Simmons wheels seem to suit the majority of cars....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Saw my first ZB wagon today while at the lights in Launceston. I had to creep up really close to properly read the badge but yep it was a new Commodore.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
There is one Holden that's much harder to find on the road and that's the Malibu. When did anybody last see one of them? Their total sales number would be interesting.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
What if they built this.....

Rendering-Of-The-2018-Holden-Ute_pID2700.jpg

Or this.....

HSV-ZB-Commodore-VXR-Sweet-Dream.jpg

Just love that Ute !!!

This is a bit like what Ford did with the FGX using that sleek looking Mustang front in a transplant, probably the best ever looking Falcon that FORD produced in many years.

As far as that HSV "what could've been", it's awesome, but sadly without a V8 under the hood it would be doomed before it even started. HSV has built it's image solely on V8's and anything below that configuration is an instant failure, just check out any of their past V6 offerings.

While on the topic of HSV, I heard an ad yesterday on radio about purchasing the newly launched reworked by HSV Silverado now. I would've thought that the media would've been on the case chasing the new Camaro and Silverado's off the boat and onto our shores just like they did by using helicopters to gain footage when the first shipment of Mustangs arrived in Melbourne.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
There is one Holden that's much harder to find on the road and that's the Malibu. When did anybody last see one of them? Their total sales number would be interesting.
I saw one in a car park once.....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Personally I see Holden as trying to produce a car, which blends in with the current trend of cars and who knows whether they will succeed

When you say "produce" you mean 'specify from an existing vehicle produced by a third party design and manufacturer with a long list of options, so they can offer a bunch of different priced models.'

Yes I agree, wait and see if they succeed. They need to get these cars on the road. Maybe they can do a deal (for the 4cyl FWD and diesel) with Uber and Uber wannabes before someone else does.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Just love that Ute !!!

Let's see a pic of it loaded up.:p

Never understood the love for a 2 door ute, if based on how it looks with an empty tray.
If specifically built as a (ute) utility vehicle, it should be doing a job, when empty it is a waste of space (because its load space is empty).

Some P plates think they are sports coupes LoL. They might be fast in a straight line because they are lighter and stripped down compared to the equivalent car but who cares, they are utes.

Cars don't have such a specific purpose, they can look good transporting air from one part of town to the other.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Years ago all of Holden's brochures on utes had hay bales etc. pictured in the tray, but then they realised that most young blokes couldn't afford a Monaro when they were reintroduced, so the easy 2 door option was to spice up the humble work horse and slot a V8 into it and hey presto an instant go fast machine that looked cool.

If you look back at what the market was doing the VS only had a 6 Cylinder "S Pack" as a model, with the V8 only being an optional upgrade and no SS in the utility line up. The sports type of styling was brought in with the introduction of the VU during VT and VX production, coincidentally around the same time as Monaro was reincarnated.

It was never designed to be hauling 44 Gallon Drums or pallets, that market was re-allocated to the Cab Chassis format (1 Tonner) which is what all the Japanese style utes were doing and who originally stole that highly practical market from both Holden and Ford that had the outdated style body ute trays.

Last edited: