Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will ZB be the end of GM in Australia

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I disagree. The term Commodore at all levels has a bogan stigma attached to it. When I first bought my VF Calais V I copped the inevitable bogan tag from my mates (who drive Euro cars) but once they saw it in person, got to sit in it and play with the gizmos. They went a bit quieter because they realised that they paid 40-50% more for their car that had the same (or less) features, similar quality feel and less power.

They still call me a bogan, but now they do it a bit more tongue in cheek because they know I made a smart decision.

you can even buy a brand new HSV and you are immediately a "cashed up bogan".

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
In nearly 50 years of driving, most at the wheel of a Holden and at least 10 a Commodore, I have never been labelled a bogan. My friends when we were younger, all drove Holdens, most V8's, but the Commodore was years into the future and perhaps the bogan tag wasn't around then. I'm sure though that owning or driving a Holden wasn't derided the way this forum suggests.

My impression of a bogan Commie driver is those tools who dump their cars so it scrapes its muffler when passing over a bull-ant, run stockiest on the rear and sometimes all round and has a big fat red P Plate front and rear. I sure don't consider a new Holden buyer to be a bogan.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
In nearly 50 years of driving, most at the wheel of a Holden and at least 10 a Commodore, I have never been labelled a bogan. My friends when we were younger, all drove Holdens, most V8's, but the Commodore was years into the future and perhaps the bogan tag wasn't around then. I'm sure though that owning or driving a Holden wasn't derided the way this forum suggests.

My impression of a bogan Commie driver is those tools who dump their cars so it scrapes its muffler when passing over a bull-ant, run stockiest on the rear and sometimes all round and has a big fat red P Plate front and rear. I sure don't consider a new Holden buyer to be a bogan.

to be clear I DON'T THINK THIS FFS.... hell maybe GM lived in the same denial as some of you.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/holden-to-de-bogan-its-image-39718

Holden wants to "de-bogan" its image and appeal to a "modern Australia" -- by targeting buyers of Chinese and Indian heritage.

At a top secret meeting with its network of national dealers this week, Holden said it would "realign" the brand to appeal to a broader range of buyers as it prepares to shut its Adelaide car factory in late 2017 and switch to solely imported vehicles.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...t/news-story/b7ace55845ca5281f3027383bd4ce899

WHEN you think of Holden, Bathurst and blokes come to mind.

From the early days of the iconic Torana and Gemini, to the more recent times of the Monaro and Commodore Ute — Holden has forever been a brand for the boys — or, dare I say it, the ‘bogans’ of Australia.

“Research has shown that 64 per cent of Australians are indifferent about the Holden name and this proves that our brand image is our biggest hurdle,” executive director of marketing at Holden, Mark Harland, told Behind the Wheel.

also found in our own forums.....

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/bogan-cars.183138/

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-bogan-is-your-commodore.197879/

https://behindthewheel.com.au/best-cars-for-bogans/

https://thingsboganslike.com/2009/11/18/28-holdens/comment-page-1/

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Holden Commodore

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I sure don't consider a new Holden buyer to be a bogan.

If you buy a Commodore new, you are not a bogan. Agree.
But if you keep it, at what point do you start to turn into a bogan, and when do you become a fully fledged bogan ?
After becoming a bogan, but still retaining ownership of said vehicle, when do you start to transform to an owner of a desirable Australian made vehicle ?

PS. On the Victorian Highway Patrol TV series a couple of nights ago, it featured a Merc, big wheels, lowered, unregistered, unlicenced driver, fake plates with "FIGJAM". Real bogan-mobile...…………...THAT WAS NOT ME.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
big wheels, lowered, unregistered, unlicenced driver, fake plates with "FIGJAM". Real bogan-mobile...…………...THAT WAS NOT ME.

Ok we believe you, ;);););):D:p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Sheet, I've been driving a Commodore for close on 10 years now....They have been various VC Commodores and I'm still waiting to be called a bogan....When I first bought a VC Commodore, I even lived in a low soco-economic area where the street had a heap of government housing properties and still wasn't called a bogan....

Must have had my head in the sand and still is there....Oh and a bogan buys any car cheap and plasters it with supercrap stuff, so it isn't limited to a Commodore of any age.....It's any brand of any age

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
I wear my black Norwellan and beanie on the train into the city everyday at the moment and I drive a Commodore so I must be a bogan. Don't really give a rats tbh.
Might have to take it to the next level and go test drive a ZB

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
clearly none of you are aware of what brand image means.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Neither GM...

uz3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
clearly none of you are aware of what brand image means.

The irony of some responses is quite funny. To the effect of 'all my mates drive commodores and we dont call each other bogans'.

Guys - all my cars have been Holdens, from Torana to VN, VT, to VE to VF. Im a bogan to the world, you're bogans to the world - its just the way it is and Holden want to try and change that.