Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will ZB be the end of GM in Australia

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Our belt was in pretty decent shape but the pulleys were fairly rough to the feel, according to the mech who did the repair. Maybe we wait until it is time for a new belt and get the intake cam replaced at the same time; if it doesn't fail beforehand.
If yours has lasted this long, it will probably last the life of the car, and you just replace the drive wheel, not the cam.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
VB 6cyl was a 202 red, 4cyl was a Starfire AFAIK, essentially a 202 with two less cyl's. Late 70s Holden's were using an Opel 4cyl in some LX's and UC's but AFAIK they stopped once the Starfire engine was introduced. Although the Opel engine was hated by most back in the 80s, it was damn good on fuel for a car of that era.

I think you missed, Holden was using the Opel 4 speed boxes around the early to mid 70's.....So Holden have been sourcing Opel parts for sometime, prior to the Commodore coming online

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Losh

Your post is full of generalisations and errors.

Let's start at the beginning. The Commodore was an Opel long before it became a Holden. When a German model name was first adopted for the new smaller Holden in 1978, Holden fans weren't jumping up and down decrying the decision, but younger drivers today, who never knew Holden before the Commodore seem to think that keeping the name for a new model, again from Opel, is the end of the world. What bullshit. Get a life FFS.

Second point. Not every noddy who drives a "Captiva" is a dipshit who doesn't know its not really a Holden. Try me. I'll gladly put my knowledge of Holden against most members of this forum. I drive one. I certainly know it's not a "real" Holden. And I'm fed up with know-alls bucketing me and others who happen to be satisfied with their choice of car. It meets my needs admirably. It isn't crap and it isn't badly built. And it too was originally an Opel. (Antara), not a Daewoo.

And finally, have you driven the new Commodore, or do you just know its inferior because "everyone says it is"?

Is it true, the petrol engined Captiva had the V6 engine that was fitted to the Commodore? Not too sure about the Diesel variant, but I applaud Holden for trying that market.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My 78 UC had an Opel engine and box.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Had a '71 LC GTR that had an Opel (pox)box...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think you missed, Holden was using the Opel 4 speed boxes around the early to mid 70's.....So Holden have been sourcing Opel parts for sometime, prior to the Commodore coming online
not sure what i missed i was sayng that the Opel engines ended with the UC.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The new Commodore had more sales here in NZ than in Aussie, that is a scary thought.... and they probably sold more of the old VF stock than the new model to boot.

Well yes the Commodore started life as an Opel, but the very first Commodore that reached the public was very far removed from said Opel as it simply did not withstand the harsh Aussie conditions. So although the chassis was the same, the body was a bit of a mash up of 2 different Opel models and the suspension and drivelines were all Aussie from the beginning if I'm not mistaken.

Interestingly, one of my uncles in Europe actually owned a Opel Senator....

You missed the point. We didn't carry on like a party of old moles when the Kingswood was eventually replaced by a car that carried the name Kommodore. It wasn't Holden's name, it was Opel's.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Is it true, the petrol engined Captiva had the V6 engine that was fitted to the Commodore? Not too sure about the Diesel variant, but I applaud Holden for trying that market.

Yep but it was a 3.2 litre, 169kw and if you were unlucky, it suffered from the stretched timing chain problems. Mine didn't. It had 205k when I traded it on the present one and the dealer was impressed with the smoothness and quietness of the drive train. But it was thirsty. It had none of the faults commonly attributed to Captivas and it was a very early build, 09/06, the month they were introduced in Australia. Tyres lasted 65k, brake pads unchanged over the 75k I owned it. There were a lot of duds but there were also good ones.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Had a '71 LC GTR that had an Opel (pox)box...
The Opel 4 speed was introduced in the HR around July 67 and finally replaced by the aussie 4 speed in July 71 with the introduction of the HQ. The LC originally had the Opel but it was also replaced at the time the HQ came in.