Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will ZB be the end of GM in Australia

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
(In my best puppeteer voice)
5!

4!

3!

2!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Are we still here?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
(In my best puppeteer voice)
5!

4!

3!

2!

They're probably the only ones who can save them.

Would be an interesting contest.....

These guys

image.jpg@1.905026-900x540.jpg

vs these guys

07c7dfba9a6e5790029fe16680f072489707d098.jpg

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Naturally I was only referring to GM's attitude. Given their constantly declining market share and lack of interest in most of their models, I think they will be quite receptive to offloading Holden if there's a quid in it.

The Brands are very important to them. Not as what they produced, more as "Branding", what means to people. For example, Roger Penske offered GM to buy Pontiac and Saturn, GM refused. An April Fools gag ran around that some company in China was going to buy the Oldsmobile brand, created quiet a stirr, it was quickly debunked. Probably a trial balloon to see if it had some value, who knows.

I think, GM know the brand Holden, just the name alone, is worth a pretty penny. If they sell the copyrights/name, you know (GM) they are in a world of hurt.

They sold the other divisions because they were loosing Brands and the Gov Co told them to so (or no bail out), they got some coin while it had some of value left on them.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/gm-to-sell-holden-116884/

More automotive speculation that will inevitably come true.
As our choice of motor vehicles will be limited to the generosity of the few manufacturers who build RHDs, our RHD roads in the future will be infested by cookie cutter small SUVs, samey-samey large SUVs, and dual cab 4WD monstrosity utes that look the same, with loads of tech, and no personality.
Anything different will be way above the average Aussie’s pay grade, or LHD conversion costing even more.
I stopped buying car mags because they were boring, I’m getting bored looking for interesting digital news and reviews, and I can’t be bothered looking through showrooms at a new model that I could put on a ‘that’s nice, might get one’ list.

Geez, I’m glad I’m getting too old to want a new, exciting, big cubic inch, naturally aspirated, large car.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The Brands are very important to them. I think, GM know the brand Holden, just the name alone, is worth a pretty penny.

No, I don't think GM knew about Holden until Bob Lutz discovered the Monaro, and later declared after the GFC that Holden was the jewel in the GM crown.
One of Holden's General Managers was an Cadillac guru (Denny Mooney ??) who stated in an interview that there were some Australian engineers working on a new model (the VE) in their department, and he was completely unaware of who they were, or what they did until he got the Holden top job.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
No, I don't think GM knew about Holden until Bob Lutz discovered the Monaro, and later declared after the GFC that Holden was the jewel in the GM crown.
One of Holden's General Managers was an Cadillac guru (Denny Mooney ??) who stated in an interview that there were some Australian engineers working on a new model (the VE) in their department, and he was completely unaware of who they were, or what they did until he got the Holden top job.

Given that the US is the centre of the universe, why shold we expect any different.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Oz can make another car company as long is not Holden. As long GM holds the name, is not going to come back, will remain shelved. However, for the right amount of cash, I bet someone can buy the Brand. We all know money talks...

About the Center of the Universe... is about to implode, just get some popcorn and watch the shlt show.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
In the way things are going with all the Greenies (tree huggers/Gaia Lovers/etc...), we are going to end like this...

The Last Chase (1981), watch if you can the bigining of the movie, about 30 to 45 min of the film. Is like looking on where we are heading now. Famin, Ban on Oil, Electric Cars, Totalitarian Gov Co, etc...

BTW, nice Porsche 917 CanAm race car.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/gm-to-sell-holden-116884/

More automotive speculation that will inevitably come true.
As our choice of motor vehicles will be limited to the generosity of the few manufacturers who build RHDs, our RHD roads in the future will be infested by cookie cutter small SUVs, samey-samey large SUVs, and dual cab 4WD monstrosity utes that look the same, with loads of tech, and no personality.
Anything different will be way above the average Aussie’s pay grade, or LHD conversion costing even more.
I stopped buying car mags because they were boring, I’m getting bored looking for interesting digital news and reviews, and I can’t be bothered looking through showrooms at a new model that I could put on a ‘that’s nice, might get one’ list.

Geez, I’m glad I’m getting too old to want a new, exciting, big cubic inch, naturally aspirated, large car.
My thoughts 100%

Furthermore, I realise Supercars is not everyone’s cup of tea but I fear I’m going to be losing interest there also. Went to Bathurst in 2015 & 2017 with a mate and thoroughly enjoyed it. Mate went again last year & when I asked him about the ‘ute’ race, he said it was incredibly noticeable...big sections of the crowd got up & either went for food, to the loo or wherever.

Now with the reveal of the so-called Mustang which is the ugliest piece of metal/plastic I’ve ever seen I fear the Camaro is going to be the same in order for it to fit the control chassis.

Even the ZB looks a decent piece of kit on the track..not sure if it’s because of the V8 and the thought of what could have been??

But if the Mustang & Camaro are going to look that atrocious I’m not sure that the crowds (nor me) are going to turn up. For the already supercar cynicals out there, yes, the races are (or were) still pulling huge crowds which I find quite incredible given the negative attitude of so many outspoken anti-Holden/Ford people out there.