Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will ZB be the end of GM in Australia

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
no one cares about anyone either, aussies don't care about other aussies just themselves.
I think on the most part yes this is correct, because most of the western world at least is inherently selfish and self centred. But there are a lot of people who do care about others. My job is all about caring. I see on a daily basis people who have lost everything and have no self worth and have pretty much have lost all hope. My role is in part to help people see that they are important and can make a different life for themselves. We have to give people in dyer straights a hand up all the time. Myself and the boss have budget guidelines we are meant to stick too but we go over on a daily basis because when you hear some of the horrible sht people have been through you have compassion and the rules of what we give goes out the window.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, it's a man eat man world out there, fairly much following the corporate american style....

Why must we do all things american?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Fair point , but also take into consideration that social media was not about in 1978, and also the media were more balanced, times have changed after 40 years .
Well, I reckon Gen Y is just too bloody precious. Maybe we were more balanced (ie mature) in our thinking back then. In fact, I'm damned sure we were.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
What about the early UC wasn't that a Opel box and engine? My mate had an Aussie in his 6cyl and my box was a fair bit different to his. His had a cable clutch too where as I had a hydraulic clutch.
He would have had what became known as the Philippines box, the MC6, made in the Philippines. Four speed, internal gearshift mechanism and cable operated clutch. The Opel was a 1900, fitted to LH/LX Toranas and early UC Sunbird. The Sunbird SLE was introduced a bit later and had the Starfire four. The Starfire was a shortened 173, not 202.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Well, I reckon Gen Y is just too bloody precious.

police.jpg

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Well, I reckon Gen Y is just too bloody precious. Maybe we were more balanced (ie mature) in our thinking back then. In fact, I'm damned sure we were.

quite agree , I'm a Gen X , born 1969 South Africa , so I've seen a few changes , the Gen Y / Millennial's , need to harden the frack up .

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yep but it was a 3.2 litre, 169kw and if you were unlucky, it suffered from the stretched timing chain problems. Mine didn't. It had 205k when I traded it on the present one and the dealer was impressed with the smoothness and quietness of the drive train. But it was thirsty. It had none of the faults commonly attributed to Captivas and it was a very early build, 09/06, the month they were introduced in Australia. Tyres lasted 65k, brake pads unchanged over the 75k I owned it. There were a lot of duds but there were also good ones.

I did hear, the petrol engined ones were thirsty on fuel...As for good and bad ones....Just like every make and model....Good and bad ones, so I am glad you got a good one

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I did hear, the petrol engined ones were thirsty on fuel...As for good and bad ones....Just like every make and model....Good and bad ones, so I am glad you got a good one
I had a couple of issues with it but it was 6 years old when I bought it, with 133k on the clock. The TPS carked it, sending the car into limp mode and the alternator failed. Neither was cheap to replace and access to some components was poor. The mechanic told me removing and replacing the alternator was a nightmare (which is why I paid him to do it instead of doing it myself).

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

imo it started with the baby boomers, cheap and will take anything they can for free with no conscience.