Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will ZB be the end of GM in Australia

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The biggest problem Holden face is running out of RHD product. Their biggest hope is to get bought out by PSA or similar as it's clear GM are completely incapable of doing RHD anything and have little or no interest in markets outside the Americas and China.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Wow back on topic now,

I saw a ZB parked on the side of the road last "night" (yes it was dark) and turned to my son and said "did you see that ??" my son replied "what that Mazda back there ?", so a cracked a Uey and went back and drove past it slowly, yep it's a ZB.

My son says "it looks ok I guess" but hates the same thing I do which is on most current Holden's and that is the way they push the Holden emblem forward out of the centre of the grille.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sad but u gotta make cars people want. And you should have some aspirational models. Is the CEO going to drive around in a new commodore. Prob not.

Ford (the previous laughing stock) seem to be doing much better as they have some popular cars being the mustang, ranger, festva, and focus. All are decent cars in their own right with abit of substance behind them. As for Holden, other than the VF commodore which is a cracker when they run out, all they have left are white goods on wheels.

Without a c/ $60k asprational model they will just become another Peugeot.

Holden sort of will with the Camaro although being $25k over priced I can't see volumes being more than a handful every month.

As for Ford, I recently had a real close look at the Ranger amongst all it's competitors and found it to be very over rated and over priced. I was completely un-phased as to what to buy and on my assessment it was either going to be a Hilux Rugged X, V6 VW (although very unlikely as cost of ownership was ridiculous) and in the end got a Colorado with 5 year unlimited KM warranty at a steal of a price.

The only feature the Ranger had which I probably would have liked was a rear diff lock but for near $15k price difference, I'll live without it. The main reason I disliked the Ford was an inherent engine vibration/harshness during mid range acceleration which was normal according to the sales guy and a very dated interior that I simply did not like.

In fairness the Toyota interior was probably the best of the lot by a fair way but it was down on power/torques and their DPF issues seem to be worst of the lot.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The only feature the Ranger had which I probably would have liked was a rear diff lock but for near $15k price difference, I'll live without it. QUOTE]QUOTE].
Can you get an aftermarket diff lock? I know ARB do lockers for heaps of 4WD's these days

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Harrop and ARB both do one. I presume others would.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
In fairness the Toyota interior was probably the best of the lot by a fair way but it was down on power/torques and their DPF issues seem to be worst of the lot.

I used to really like the Toyota TRD Hilux, that thing was sweet when I seen it. Basically a 4WD four door ute but with all the mod cons a conventional vehicle has. Downside was, it was really exi.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I used to really like the Toyota TRD Hilux, that thing was sweet when I seen it. Basically a 4WD four door ute but with all the mod cons a conventional vehicle has. Downside was, it was really exi.

From what I remember the TRD in years past were often not much more than an expensive sticker pack. These days the Rugged X has really lifted the game in spec. Aside from a winch (the bar can take a winch) and maybe lift there won't be many other extras most people would possibly want for off road. All at a price of course however if you buy a SR5 with leather and chuck a ARB catalogue at it, you won't have much change if any compared to what you pay for the X.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
From what I remember the TRD in years past were often not much more than an expensive sticker pack. These days the Rugged X has really lifted the game in spec. Aside from a winch (the bar can take a winch) and maybe lift there won't be many other extras most people would possibly want for off road. All at a price of course however if you buy a SR5 with leather and chuck a ARB catalogue at it, you won't have much change if any compared to what you pay for the X.

One I looked at in South of Adelaide had black duco, leather interior, nice dash, turbo diesel, cruise, ABS etc, etc. Admittedly this was over 10 years ago and compared to a 2017 car it would probably be pretty basic but at the time it had all things you needed and it was a nice looking bus. I think that era of Lux's looked better than the ones of the last few years. IMO the new ones look a bit gorky... I think the older ones were a nicer looking bus. To me a number of cars are loking really gorky... XJ Cherokees were a tidy looking bus, as was some of the Triton 4 door utes. Then like a lot of conventional cars they seemed to have tried to make our cars look more European or something because, OMG the new Cherokee looks poxy, and the Triton WTF were they thinking when the gave it a face lift 6 or 7 years ago. Maybe I'm behind the times but IMHO so many new cars a looking damn awful compared to some other the earlier designs....

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Maybe I'm behind the times but IMHO so many new cars a looking damn awful compared to some other the earlier designs....

Yeah, I agree. That new small Toyota SUV thingy with all the angles and curves and stickyout bits at the back , is a good example, but maybe I'm just getting old.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Same with Landcruisers they look so old man now its not funny.