Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wind noise drivers door

MtnsVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV redline wagon
My SSV redline is a great car but I have an annoying amount of wind noise right above my ear. Sounds like it it around the top rear corner of the drivers door.
Going to the dealer next week but want to know if anyone else has the problem or any ideas on fixes.
Thx

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Probably a door seal or window seal. Was a tint put on the glass?

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Since the VE doors seals were shocking for noise suppression then I would assume the VF would be the same as that's about the only parts that carried over:boxing:

I had to adjust all four doors on my wagon to get them to plug properly. That worked but then the body panels didn't align so I had to make a comprimise between each issue:hmmm:

Plug type doors reduce production costs but don't seal as well. My VY had a quieter cabin than the VE:rofl2:

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Door sealing in the VF is excellent. The issue was also fixed and resolved as a late running change on the VE Series 2. During this running change the tailgate on the sportswagon is now self sealing.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Door sealing in the VF is excellent. The issue was also fixed and resolved as a late running change on the VE Series 2. During this running change the tailgate on the sportswagon is now self sealing.

Sounds good, how is that different practically do you know?

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Cheers Zappaboy. Not sure what you are getting at. Could you expand your detail to what is the fix?

My wagon is a 2011 SII but I haven't noticed anything special about the tailgate sealing (even though I don't have a problem with it's sealing).

The main issue I have with door sealing is that door doesn't actually fit the door hole positively, if that makes sense...

MtnsVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV redline wagon
Back into the wife's VE SS ute recently and it is just as noisy as my VF. Missed the 3K service oppo to report to the dealer but next service wont be that far away and its far from a major problem. IF the rest of the car was not so quiet I doubt the wind noise would be a problem.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Interested to find out more regarding the self-sealing tailgate fix... BTW I found a huge improvement in NVH at the rear of my Sportwagon was by simply putting a 6kg/ft^2 layer of Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) as underlay across the width of the rear seat, Dynamat the walls of the spare wheel well, cut a mat out of MLV to sit on top of the spare well , beneath the trap door, Dynamat the top half of the tailgate and cushion all along the seal at the bottom with cut pieces of MLV, like so:
[video=youtube_share;J0dlqH8uC_E]http://youtu.be/J0dlqH8uC_E[/video]