Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Window/door rubber deposits on A Pillar.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Gave the car (VF S1) a bit of a detail recently, and noticed that both A pillars had a black rubber type "slick" at the bend where the windscreen frame meets the door's vertical opening. The B and C pillars were clean of any black deposits from the door rubbers.

It comes off with car polish etc. The window frame rubber has a glazed "wet" look corresponding with where it has deposited the black rubber coating on the paintwork. I have never had this on my VT or VZ so I'm guessing the rubber on the window frame is a bit inferior.

I don't have any door rattles, knocking, bumping on the striker plates to cause the door rubbers to have a high friction type contact. (Well I can't hear anything, and the doors seem steady whilst driving).

Anyone got any ideas?

IMG_4484m800.jpg
IMG_4486m800.jpg

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yep. It's a sign of a good seal. The seals are doing what they're meant to. The VT to VZ had a furry, felt rype coating on the rubber. It looked good, but lasted five minutes at the contact points. Then turned hard and rattly. Their sealing characteristics were nowhere near what the VF's are.
If the rubber depost is a bother, or a bit noisy, apply some non greasy lube to stop the friction rubbing the rubber agaist the paint.

Last edited:

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Thanks for your reply 426Cuda.
I've cleaned mine off twice since I noticed it.

Must be a bit annoying on a white car, or a light body colour.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for your reply 426Cuda.
I've cleaned mine off twice since I noticed it.

Must be a bit annoying on a white car, or a light body colour.
No worries. Yeah I guess.
Mine is dark, and I clean in there almost every wash. So I've never had it, or noticed it. I do add lube to the rubber too. It stops that rubbery muffled squeak. Our work SV6's do it on rough roads. My Redline doesn't, even though it is older and has more K's. I put it down to keeping the rubbers and inner door / frame clean, and the non greasy lube. Silicon spray works well. But needs to be frequently reapplied.

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
I have used armour all on the rubbers and seals around the doors and not noticed any issues.

CHP73

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VF1 Sportwagon
Silicone grease from SCA helps with door seals in terms of squeak cancelling. I have just applied a very thin coat of that silicone grease on my vf's door seals and all squeaks are gone, can not believe it as it was annoying, and I am really happy with the result. Hope it lasts longer than when it was only sprayed with some silicone spray. I applied it to the door seal only, left the car body seal untouched as it could be messy for the occupant clothes when get in/out of the car. Anyway nothing's squeaking at the doors anymore!

I had the same looking rubber residue on my pillars. I guess it is where it makes those squeaks but not entirely sure.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
If you want something that'll leave no greasy residue and will protect and stop squeaks and keep the rubbers looking very black with just a quick wipe over once in a while than use 303 Products Aerospace Protectant.

Its water based and contains no petroleum distillates, alcohol, mineral oil or silicone oils and can be safely used on plastic, vinyl, rubber, fiberglass, acrylic and leather.

It won't cause cracking from long term use like some of the other protectant products on the market that contain chemicals that dry the surface out.

SSV 407

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
No worries. Yeah I guess.
Mine is dark, and I clean in there almost every wash. So I've never had it, or noticed it. I do add lube to the rubber too. It stops that rubbery muffled squeak. Our work SV6's do it on rough roads. My Redline doesn't, even though it is older and has more K's. I put it down to keeping the rubbers and inner door / frame clean, and the non greasy lube. Silicon spray works well. But needs to be frequently reapplied.
What non greasy lube do you use? I only ask because I don't want to google through pages of personal lube, If you know what I mean ;)

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's KY something or other haha.
Just dry lube stick or silicon spray. There is better stuff I've read about on here though

CHP73

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VF1 Sportwagon
If you want something that'll leave no greasy residue and will protect and stop squeaks and keep the rubbers looking very black with just a quick wipe over once in a while than use 303 Products Aerospace Protectant.

Its water based and contains no petroleum distillates, alcohol, mineral oil or silicone oils and can be safely used on plastic, vinyl, rubber, fiberglass, acrylic and leather.

It won't cause cracking from long term use like some of the other protectant products on the market that contain chemicals that dry the surface out.

Thanks, did not know the product, will give it a go some day.