Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

window surrounds

Matty o

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VU SS UTE
hey guys just wondering of the door surrounds below the windows can be paint stripped and sanded so they come up chrome? of course u will have 2 use a bit of autosol or sumthin but yea i have heard that the top ones come up fine. thanx

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Top ones just screw off, but I do believe the bottom ones are a right royal pain in the ass. And some people do say they've sanded and polished them, and gotten a lovely chrome :) If not, you can always prime them up and spray them with some chrome paint from Autobarn. Just don't know how long it would last before it flaked... (probably as long as the stock window trims, I presume, in which case - not long) ^^

H

HATER VP

Why not buy some VP Calais ones? Careful which ones you get because they rust out where they slide on, causing them to stick up.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
HATER VP said:
Why not buy some VP Calais ones? Careful which ones you get because they rust out where they slide on, causing them to stick up.

Because the VP Calais ones do not look as nice... the chrome strip is small, and doesnt look that nice on the rear quarter window.

Paint stripper to get rid of the grey then polish it up with autosol man. Will look sweet. If ya cant take he bottom ones off, just do it with them on the car. Cover all the paint up with something though like a plastic or something so that you get paint stripper on your car.

I posted a few pics in another thread about this, so I will find the thread and post it here so you can have a look at some pics.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 293
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 324

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
thats awesome, i was going to spray mine black cos the crappy grey dosent go with anything else on the car... cheers dude, i will do it on the weekend and post some pics

flyen

bye bye
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
i colour coded mine a little wile ago

the tops just screw off the the bottom ones dont, so i just sprayed them wile they were on the car, masked up really well though so no overspray got on the car

lazza44

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S2 Berlina Wagon
I would do mine, but you cant do the doors as its plastic.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
umm, the doors should be metal or whatever, im pretty sure its only vp onwards they changed to plastic, possibly even vr onwards.

both of my vn wagons are metal door ones.

Apoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-Series I-6-90
yep just checked mine theyre metal, but what do you do about the rubbers on the door strips? Wont the paint stripper eat the crap out of this?