Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Window Tint & Bonnet protector - Ralph's ongoing questions

Ralph

Reaction score
Hi All.

(thanks as always for the advice).

With a decision made on cat back 2.5" Xforce Varex exhaust (silly question - can i somehow get the tips to be black / carbon to go with the look of the car.. nothing is really chrome) ... Next 2 items on my agenda.... Window Tint and my bonnet protector (came with the car).

Window tint - i was going to go with a 20% but got spooked about the potential to void insurance. Being Heron White, dark as possible is going to look the best... As much as I want that, i dont think its worth voiding insurance (with NRMA they are usually pretty good .. but is it worth the risk?). I've searched with mix results on here. Some saying dont do it. Others saying its not that big of a deal.

Bonnet protector - i like the practicalness of this. i aint a fan on stone chips on the bonnet... but the black screws look a bit **** (without that its actually not that bad) on... i was thinking about getting it painted black - anyone else happen to have the dark bonnet protector (or white car even?)... keen to see what it looks like... alternatively i might just pull it off.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
On a white car, darkest legal tint is fine. They look plenty dark enough, 30-35% or whatever. 20% and less is a pain at night, I'd never do that again, can't see behind you at all.

If there is a chance the insurance could be voided that's up to you whether you take that risk.

All I can say about bonnet protectors is on most cars I see they scuff the paint up where they are mounted. However I think that a Black bonnet protector on a white car would look good.
Don't get those clear ones as you can see all the dirt and grime that gets stuck underneath them.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Do you drive at night? Can't see **** through ultra dark tints at night.

I'm not sold on bonnet protectors, my Clubby has 180,000km on it and has a couple of chips on the bar and a guard, but none on the leading edge of the bonnet where the protector would sit. Not sure it's required IMO. Just get it painted when it gets too chipped and get a couple of extra clear coats on it.

We44pn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I have 15% and I have no issues at all. Only bad thing i can think of is winter and rain at night reversing out driveways.

Ralph

Reaction score
All I can say about bonnet protectors is on most cars I see they scuff the paint up where they are mounted. However I think that a Black bonnet protector on a white car would look good.
Don't get those clear ones as you can see all the dirt and grime that gets stuck underneath them.

It came with the car. So just trying to decide what to do with it. It has what looks like protectors on the clips that secure it together.

2bd5sh.jpg

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Ugh yeah give it the flick.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Take off bonnet protector and use it for those long drives ie. syd to melb.

With the tint as long as you have dark interior having legal tint will still be dark enuff. Having a light interior (white) needs darker tint.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I wouldn't go darker than legal if it could void your insurance . I mean why would you pay hundreds of dollars a year to cover your car then have a big accident or even worse write it or someone else car off and be left with a massive debt.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Bonnet protectors do more harm than good and also look ugly. Also wouldn't go any darker than darkest legal tint.

Ralph

Reaction score
Great feedback lads... decision made i think... take the protector off (after my trip to melb in a couple of weeks). Tint... go darkest legal. Won't look as nice as the 20% but i am cautious guy.. so have the same view if darker then legal risks insurance then its no dice.