Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Window tinting... Dealer or after-market???

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Badmammal, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Badmammal

Badmammal New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS
    Hi there. I'm a first-time user, and also a first-time new car owner. I take delivery of my VF Ute in 10 days. Just wondering which way to go with window-tinting... The dealer is quoting $595 for carbon-based tints whilst my local Tint-a-car is $220, however the dealer is playing the "fear-of-God" card and saying that metal-based tints should not be used on the vehicle. I was just wondering if anyone new of any reasons why metal-based tints shouldn't be used, or is it just the Dealer trying to squeeze out more money? Thanks in advance from an excited NEW Commodore owner... :D

2. Tasmaniak

Tasmaniak Not a valid input....

Members Ride:
    VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
    Dealer playing games with you. Reality is, a dealer doesn't have the facilities to tint vehicles. So they source outside companies.... like tint-a-car and then stack their little bit on top. It's pretty common, I've seen them charge $1200 for reverse camera systems that I fit for them and I charge them between 400-500 same as my other customers. Reverse sensors, they charge about $500... I charge them the same as all my other customers, $250 fitted and colour matched.

Dealerships don't have the facilities to really do much else other than mechanical repairs... everything else is outsourced.

3. Badmammal

Badmammal New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS
    Yeah, that's what I figured, I just wasn't 100% sure. The dealer was throwing out lines like "metal-based tints can affect the demister on the rear-window". Just thought I should check... Cheers

4. Pollushon

Pollushon Boost gives me a bar....

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    Dealer is a dumbass. The only issue with metallic film is around vehicles that have an aerial in the rear window, creating interference, which the VF does not have anyway. This is the only reason you'd use carbon based film over metal, as metal will actually outlast the car, whereas dye and carbon based films will not. It won't bother the demister a bit, usually film assists its operation.

5. uniacidz

uniacidz Harden the Frak Up

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Just trying to squeeze some money out of you.

Metallic vs non-metallic debate been on for some time.
    Hate to say it, but Google will bring up many results.

6. Pollushon

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    There's a debate? Any other window tinters with 15 years experience ever chimed in? Metallic kills all else.

7. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Dealer will just ship it off to a tinter. We used to have heaps of trouble with Tinters being lazy and not even putting trims back on correctly and scratching them up.

8. Pollushon

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    I worked with a lot of them, the ultimate lazy tinter I knew would use a half peel method and not even take trims off. Besides getting the trim soaked in soapy water, customers would get a nice gap.

9. Tasmaniak

Tasmaniak Not a valid input....

Members Ride:
    VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
    That's the one skill I regret not learning with car customization... Tinting.

Not too late I guess.

10. Pollushon

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    If you're an anally retentive cleaning freak and have a steady hand it comes naturally.

11. Foggsy

Foggsy Active Member

Members Ride:
    2011 VE SS Sedan M6
    Tint to a dealer is around $180. The rest of "your" price from the dealer is profit and them walking you up. I love how the dealers all employ accessories girls with fake tah tah's and you end up taking the paint protection that comes off the first time you chamois the car and the like. Go to a tinter, ask them to explain the difference in the material and then start beating them down on price and see what you end up with. It will be better than the dealers offer.

12. veessv

veessv New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS, VE SSV
    I was told $550 from the dealer I asked who does it for them and was told motor one, they were just down the door from work for me so I popped in and I thought I'd ask $150 not hard to guess who I went though also got it darker then dealer would let me get it

13. Badmammal

Badmammal New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS
    Sorry it's taken a while to get back on, but thank you all for the advice... Went with aftermarket, very happy with the product, service and result. Tint-a-Car Moorooka, "Octane" tint. Looks great against Prussian Steel :D Will post a pic when I get a chance...

14. yianni127

yianni127 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SS UTE
    I just got my ute done with Tint a Car in Alexandria with the darkest tint possible. They used to do Suttons, John Newell Mazda, Mecedes etc. All the local dealers in the area. Now the dealers do them by themselves. It was a shitload cheaper than the dealer. Don't let them scare you. Rear demister works fine.

15. zach77

zach77 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6
    Same dilemma won't go dealer but heard issues with bigger tint companies as well. Anyone recommend Melbourne based company?

16. hsv_r8

hsv_r8 New Member

Members Ride:
    2014 R8 SV
    For my new ride the dealer threw in tinting for free :)

17. TinSnips

TinSnips Polish all the things...

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Ute
    Nothing wrong with metal tint. It CAN interfere with GPS and key remotes, but at worst it slightly reduces their range. That's it. I had metal tint on my VE for 5 years without any issues.

That said, You can get carbon tint for the same price or carbon/hybrid for a little more. Both are more efficient than metalised tint in terms of heat and UV repellence.