Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Window tinting... Dealer or after-market???

Badmammal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Hi there. I'm a first-time user, and also a first-time new car owner. I take delivery of my VF Ute in 10 days. Just wondering which way to go with window-tinting... The dealer is quoting $595 for carbon-based tints whilst my local Tint-a-car is $220, however the dealer is playing the "fear-of-God" card and saying that metal-based tints should not be used on the vehicle. I was just wondering if anyone new of any reasons why metal-based tints shouldn't be used, or is it just the Dealer trying to squeeze out more money? Thanks in advance from an excited NEW Commodore owner... :D

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Dealer playing games with you. Reality is, a dealer doesn't have the facilities to tint vehicles. So they source outside companies.... like tint-a-car and then stack their little bit on top. It's pretty common, I've seen them charge $1200 for reverse camera systems that I fit for them and I charge them between 400-500 same as my other customers. Reverse sensors, they charge about $500... I charge them the same as all my other customers, $250 fitted and colour matched.

Dealerships don't have the facilities to really do much else other than mechanical repairs... everything else is outsourced.

Badmammal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Yeah, that's what I figured, I just wasn't 100% sure. The dealer was throwing out lines like "metal-based tints can affect the demister on the rear-window". Just thought I should check... Cheers

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Dealer is a dumbass. The only issue with metallic film is around vehicles that have an aerial in the rear window, creating interference, which the VF does not have anyway. This is the only reason you'd use carbon based film over metal, as metal will actually outlast the car, whereas dye and carbon based films will not. It won't bother the demister a bit, usually film assists its operation.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just trying to squeeze some money out of you.

Metallic vs non-metallic debate been on for some time.
Hate to say it, but Google will bring up many results.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
There's a debate? Any other window tinters with 15 years experience ever chimed in? Metallic kills all else.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Dealer will just ship it off to a tinter. We used to have heaps of trouble with Tinters being lazy and not even putting trims back on correctly and scratching them up.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I worked with a lot of them, the ultimate lazy tinter I knew would use a half peel method and not even take trims off. Besides getting the trim soaked in soapy water, customers would get a nice gap.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
That's the one skill I regret not learning with car customization... Tinting.

Not too late I guess.