Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Window tinting... Dealer or after-market???

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Tint to a dealer is around $180. The rest of "your" price from the dealer is profit and them walking you up. I love how the dealers all employ accessories girls with fake tah tah's and you end up taking the paint protection that comes off the first time you chamois the car and the like. Go to a tinter, ask them to explain the difference in the material and then start beating them down on price and see what you end up with. It will be better than the dealers offer.

veessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SSV
I was told $550 from the dealer I asked who does it for them and was told motor one, they were just down the door from work for me so I popped in and I thought I'd ask $150 not hard to guess who I went though also got it darker then dealer would let me get it

Badmammal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Sorry it's taken a while to get back on, but thank you all for the advice... Went with aftermarket, very happy with the product, service and result. Tint-a-Car Moorooka, "Octane" tint. Looks great against Prussian Steel :D Will post a pic when I get a chance...

yianni127

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS UTE
I just got my ute done with Tint a Car in Alexandria with the darkest tint possible. They used to do Suttons, John Newell Mazda, Mecedes etc. All the local dealers in the area. Now the dealers do them by themselves. It was a shitload cheaper than the dealer. Don't let them scare you. Rear demister works fine.

zach77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Same dilemma won't go dealer but heard issues with bigger tint companies as well. Anyone recommend Melbourne based company?

hsv_r8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 R8 SV
For my new ride the dealer threw in tinting for free :)

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Nothing wrong with metal tint. It CAN interfere with GPS and key remotes, but at worst it slightly reduces their range. That's it. I had metal tint on my VE for 5 years without any issues.

That said, You can get carbon tint for the same price or carbon/hybrid for a little more. Both are more efficient than metalised tint in terms of heat and UV repellence.