Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windows 10

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Microsoft Security Essentials.... Free!

This (or Defender in W10), a sandpit environment for stuff that presents risks but mostly my brain, has worked a treat for over a decade now.

I think folks need to focus more on web protection, which is where most exploits come onboard these days, there are tonnes of add-ons for all browsers that block scripts, check cookies, take out ads etc....

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
thanks,will keep it in mind next renewal , have found norton and addblocker have worked well

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ive upgraded to win10..

I have a legit win7 disc, I was on win7 and took the option to download and subsequently install win10.

If I format and reload from the win7 disc, am I eligable to re-download/install 10? Has anyone tried and done this?

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

ive upgraded to win10..

I have a legit win7 disc, I was on win7 and took the option to download and subsequently install win10.

If I format and reload from the win7 disc, am I eligable to re-download/install 10? Has anyone tried and done this?

according to the microsoft site if you've upgraded from windows 7 to 10 and activated it then that computer is registered to run windows 10. you should be able to do a format and do a clean install of windows 10 and it will activate itself.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
according to the microsoft site if you've upgraded from windows 7 to 10 and activated it then that computer is registered to run windows 10. you should be able to do a format and do a clean install of windows 10 and it will activate itself.

Correct - and it's widely considered to be the best path to take to ensure you get the free upgrade plus the best, fresh install. You can also make a note of your Win10 key before reformatting and installing.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
So, whack the win7 disc in, format to win7, download upgrade from microsoft? I'm guessing :s lol

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
yip, make sure your boot order is set to DVD, chuck in said disk.. press any key when prompt to, and follow the steps.. once all installed run the windows updates, this should in turn bring back the win10 option, else just download it.. I have the setup on a USB stick.. saves downloading the 4GB file each time.

CoffeeMonster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Exec/VE II SSV-Z
So, whack the win7 disc in, format to win7, download upgrade from microsoft? I'm guessing :s lol

what's this for? if you've done the upgrade to windows 10 and activated it and are wanting to do a clean install you can download the install media from microsoft in the form of a ISO (disk image). you can either burn this to a dvd or make a bootable USB stick and install it from a USB. that's what i usually use as the media is reusable.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
what's this for? if you've done the upgrade to windows 10 and activated it and are wanting to do a clean install you can download the install media from microsoft in the form of a ISO (disk image). you can either burn this to a dvd or make a bootable USB stick and install it from a USB. that's what i usually use as the media is reusable.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

This, Microsoft seems to have removed a lot of the bullshit around upgrades. Basically you won't have to ever activate again on the hardware you've upgraded. I've reinstalled and mucked around with my install a few times cleanly and only ever punched a key in the first time, it just reactivates each reinstall.

There's a few issues with the Microsoft media creation tool, so I'd recommend RUFUS, noting with a UEFI based board you should select FAT32 as the USB drive partition system not the default NTFS. BIOS is happy with either.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Ok, I have the Update from Windows providing me Windows 10. I'm pretty sure my install to the laptop was Win7.

If I was to 'Refresh This PC' through the built in feature, would I be keeping Windows 10 - or what is the go... Anyone know?