Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windows 10

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Problem is Raj , some people don't like change,as I do this now my home computer is upgrading , we'll see how it goes

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Problem is Raj , some people don't like change,as I do this now my home computer is upgrading , we'll see how it goes

There's good and bad change - who the hell likes bad change?

I'm a Windows user from 3.1 - every successive version up to 8 brought great things to the table (I include ME and Vista in that group) - 8 destroyed the UI when it should have been split off as a new SKU for mobile.

There were a couple of underlying benefits but they were outweighed by the abomination sitting on top. 10 has gone some of the way to rectifying it just as 8.1 did.

Windows 8.1 and 10 are a response to a massive loss of market share. 10 is such a gamble the only way they can convince people is to give it to them for nothing, something that traditionally ran you at least $120. That's $120 * 14 million copies. If you do the math and assume MS make say $10 a copy that's a direct hit of $140 million. Being that they'll be giving it away for 12 months the loss in direct revenue will be staggering.

They have a plan though it's outlined in this article - and Acquire is the first step, which they are succeeding at right now.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/16/8227847/how-microsoft-makes-money

It involves four parts: acquire, engage, enlist, and monetize.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Subjective...

8.1 is **** loads faster than anything before it.

The interface is better for some people, me included. 7 is still brilliant - I use it at work as we never went to 8.1 here. But I love my 8.1 at home, which I also use as a work machine when I work from home!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subjective...

8.1 is **** loads faster than anything before it.

The interface is better for some people, me included. 7 is still brilliant - I use it at work as we never went to 8.1 here. But I love my 8.1 at home, which I also use as a work machine when I work from home!

pfft, 8.1 "**** loads" faster. It may hybrid boot on some machines a little quicker but not significantly.

the interface was "better" for specifically two tenths of sfa people - how do I know this? Uptake, most people curse and hate it.

All the tech press still say that the UI is a hodge podge of jarring design hodge podge.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Being that they'll be giving it away for 12 months the loss in direct revenue will be staggering.

that is true, but have you priced up licenses lately .. say Exchange or SQL.. even Server user CALs are ridiculous...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
that is true, but have you priced up licenses lately .. say Exchange or SQL.. even Server user CALs are ridiculous...

YUP, and the changes to the way it's licensed as well. All designed to make MS more cash. They are keen on giving you less for more $$$

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
There's good and bad change - who the hell likes bad change?

I'm a Windows user from 3.1 - every successive version up to 8 brought great things to the table (I include ME and Vista in that group) - 8 destroyed the UI when it should have been split off as a new SKU for mobile.

There were a couple of underlying benefits but they were outweighed by the abomination sitting on top. 10 has gone some of the way to rectifying it just as 8.1 did.

Windows 8.1 and 10 are a response to a massive loss of market share. 10 is such a gamble the only way they can convince people is to give it to them for nothing, something that traditionally ran you at least $120. That's $120 * 14 million copies. If you do the math and assume MS make say $10 a copy that's a direct hit of $140 million. Being that they'll be giving it away for 12 months the loss in direct revenue will be staggering.

They have a plan though it's outlined in this article - and Acquire is the first step, which they are succeeding at right now.

Microsoft reveals how it will make money giving away software | The Verge

Of course no one likes bad change , but I'm not going to write it off just yet , I'm going to give it a go , I'm sure some things will niggle , some of windows 7 featured were a pain in the hole , there are features on my iPhone that make me want to throw against the wall , but I don't .

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Of course no one likes bad change , but I'm not going to write it off just yet , I'm going to give it a go , I'm sure some things will niggle , some of windows 7 featured were a pain in the hole , there are features on my iPhone that make me want to throw against the wall , but I don't .

I gave the insiders beta a run - it was actually quite broken when I did.

It worked functionally but was crap in performance, also it had a massive security hole that made me back off - and it felt too much like 8 for my liking.

I might change my mind, but I kind of get the feeling I won't.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Regarding the debate on the start menu, before reading this thread I was a big supporter of the start menu, now I realise I only use the start menu for the search bar and start typing in the program/file I want, I don't even use the list.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Regarding the debate on the start menu, before reading this thread I was a big supporter of the start menu, now I realise I only use the start menu for the search bar and start typing in the program/file I want, I don't even use the list.

Yup! And that's the problem with Windows 8, and then 8.1. People were just so conditioned to have something how it was that when it changed, "most people cursed[sic] and hated[sic] it". Yup! Myself included. And then after I actually realised just how irrelevant the start menu is, I grew to love it. Really, the start menu and start screen are both irrelevant. All people need is a place to launch apps from and a reliable search.