Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windows 7 Internet fail

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Hey guys, desperate for some help.

I've basically got no idea what's going on, I'm on adsl 8000/256 - and for since I've had windows 7 I've had good speeds. With it, not long back - hitting 700kb/s or something along those lines when doing an internet speed test.

I've done nothing at all to the PC or the network, maybe windows update? And my speed has dropped massively, down to 20-40kb/s.

If I walk downstairs and start up the laptop, it jumps straight into downloads at 500-600kb/s.

So it's definitely this PC.

Any ideas?

IPv6 is disabled. It's wired network.
Any suggestions?

MagiTEK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII S
Ok. well you've proved its not a plan cap.

the only thing i can think of is background updates or something along those lines.

Get a bandwidth monitor installed. there are some windows 7 sidebar ones that will do the trick. and see if its reaching full (500+) speeds, even though your internet surfing appears slow n sluggish.

To prove or disprove. click on start type in services.msc and disable internet connection sharing and windows update. see if that makes the difference.

Otherwise. As an alternate, try spybot or malwarebytes to see if there is something nasty on it.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Windows update - Disabled it and straight up 700kb/s.

Looks like we've found the culprit.

Thanks

MagiTEK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII S
No probs mate.

davenmarcia

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz acclaim
I have a similar question however mine is the net drops out randomly. have just upgraded to windows 7 from vista and every now and then the net drops out it can last from 2 mins to 3 hours
any ideas?

dave

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
*same boat for me as well - I just keep resetting the router so I'll watch this.

MagiTEK - do you know what the problem is with windows update or whether there is a patch or something, do they know about it?

Seems pointless to leave it disabled is all.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Another fail, it's dropped back to <150.

Disconnected my brothers PC and it jumped. Spybot detected nothing.

I'll keep stuffing around, maybe I'm just downloading from a slow source at the moment. I'll try a netspeed test soon.

MagiTEK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII S
Bax, i got no idea why windows update sucks the bandwidth. I dont have any problems with windows 7 on my pc. Perhaps it was just trying to download some updates for your pc? As for the speed drop. Do a speed test to confirm your speeds. I find it rare to download above 200kb/s from a number of sources.

Dave, check the modem/router to see if its losing its connection (adsl/ppp light isnt lit constantly) Living in far north qld, i have heaps of problems with the hot as all hell weather (like at the moment). Ended up wiring a 80mm fan with a dust filter into the top of the router to keep it cool.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
It's back - speedtest is all I use for my checks.

That's what I got just then, Windows update is still disabled.

My brother just ran the same test on Vista and got 6.5ish.

I'm absolutely stumped again, doing a Virus scan, but it's downloading the Definition updates at 1.1kb/s