Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windows down or AC on?

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
Windows down with the exception of above 80kph constant driving then A/C.
sometimes run the fan without AC with windows down too.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Did some tests with my vx. Using the fan on the highest speed and coldest setting used LESS petrol then having the windows Down, so that's a winner than me. Having the ac on used 1 litre per hour. Did all this on the same 100k stretch of road, same marker was always used for the start and the 100k was measured using the trip computer. Always using the same fuel from the same servo.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
I used to be a windows down man in every other car I've owned but the ve has some intense buffeting wind noise at all speeds which gives me a serious headache. So I am now an AC man.

I'll agree on this, i love driving with the windows down but i swear my ute makes a popping noise even with both windows down -.-

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I just set the dial on 21 and drive. Windows are never down. It is nice to open the roof in summer I will admit :)

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
My stupid ####ing AC system decided it didnt want to work anymore today so after half a day of fart arseing around with a multi-meter and to no avail i now have to concede having to wind my windows down.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
Windows go down???? The only time I put them down is in the drive through. Oh and when mr plod is tapping on the window.

this

if i could i would remove the relay

helmotbros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
I'll agree on this, i love driving with the windows down but i swear my ute makes a popping noise even with both windows down -.-

Yea, if i decide to try drive with the windows down im forever trying to find a harmonic balance that lets enough wind in from both windows to stop the damn buffeting. Its infinitely distracting whilst trying to drive. Pressing the ON button for the ac seems so much easier... and safer.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Yea, if i decide to try drive with the windows down im forever trying to find a harmonic balance that lets enough wind in from both windows to stop the damn buffeting. Its infinitely distracting whilst trying to drive. Pressing the ON button for the ac seems so much easier... and safer.

It's more annoying because whoever i have in the car with me cannot hear it for some reason.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I generally just leave the A/C on in my daily driver ute. Hot weather it's great, cold weather it stops the windows fogging up. In between seasons I'll roll the windows down. As for fuel economy, at highway speeds most modern cars probably use less fuel with the A/C on than having the windows down. Most modern cars are designed aerodynamically to drive with windows up, especially at highway speeds

The VH, I'll only use A/C on really hot days

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Cruisen around town, windows down
Highway, speeds above 60k's, A/C on.

But, my car doesn't have A/C.. so windows down if needed..
Not looking forwards to the summer, havn't been hot since I've put the leather seats in.. hopefully the tinted windows help. ;)