Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windows slider swap without breaking

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Unfortunately seems correct. Spoken to a few different Holden dealers who are often great at looking up annoying requests and say there isn't a listing for that part and don't recall seeing it outside of a full regulator.
Now I'm wondering if maybe to look for a good, used (cheap as possible) VZ regulator in an attempt to pull the sliders and fit to mine. Not at all ideal but don't want to replace the entire regulator either.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Just a recap, seems most aftermarket and sellers of GM NOS and replacements don't know this version exists. Even a couple of Holden parts guys kept suggesting they are all the same.
I had to end up buying a NOS manual regulator that was cheaper than most, just to pull the clips off it. And perfect fit back on mine. All 3 were cracked, the fixed point rail seemed worse than the rest. Anyone need to buy a manual regulator, no clips....

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Just a recap, seems most aftermarket and sellers of GM NOS and replacements don't know this version exists. Even a couple of Holden parts guys kept suggesting they are all the same.
I had to end up buying a NOS manual regulator that was cheaper than most, just to pull the clips off it. And perfect fit back on mine. All 3 were cracked, the fixed point rail seemed worse than the rest. Anyone need to buy a manual regulator, no clips....

So just to recap on your issue, You were trying to (unbeknown to you) fit pre VZ window slider runner clips to an updated bigger ballstud installed regulator.

Glad you got it sorted, just a PITA you had to buy a complete manual regulator to pilfer the bits you needed.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Can the sliders be drilled out a bit to get them to fit better?

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Can the sliders be drilled out a bit to get them to fit better?

Nope, would make no difference as the mould of the slider clip that the ball clips into will still only fit the smaller stud size. It wouldn't clip on and weaken it most likely.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
A scan and 3D print would be a good long term solution I guess. One day, everyone will have one... maybe.

Last edited:

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
That's right wasn't aware there was a larger size, so wasn't expecting to find one. Tried drilling out previous incorrect clips to allow them to press on easier, makes no difference and of course, shouldn't. If they are even drilled large enough to suit the ball stud they won't stay on.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
How are you putting them in? The correct method is to slide them into the track with some grease put the window in to the door with the reg wound down, line up the ball and clip and then use multi grips (set as flat as possible on the back of track/front of reg) to pop them in with a decent amount of pressure. This is how it was done at factory

It is an incredibly tight fit which is by design as the plastic is ABS and has a tiny amount of stretch

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
This is now an old post and the issue wasn't how it was being installed if you read back. Want to know about tight fit? Install a 10mm ball stud into 8mm clips. The ones you refer to are a complete breeze. Replacement regulators come with the clips already installed, you can remove to install the same way but I can't imagine the factory doing it this way.