Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windows slider swap without breaking

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Yes, this old problem. I've had to replace the window sliders in both my VX and VZ as per every other Commodore, but unlike previous cars I've had, these seem to crack far too easily.

The rattle is fixed and window nice and firm for 2-3 days and then it starts again, pull it down, yep, broken again. Or they break just to clamp them onto the studs, or the break pulling off the studs when checking if they were even broken.

I've tried 3 different brands of genuine, slightly different Rare Spares and Chinese, all have the same results, none seem better. So much lube and grease, soaking in boiling water, chamfering the edge prior to clamping ball stud, none work.

What's the trick? I never had problem back in the VR/VS days, but these seem rubbish and have no flex to them to spread or to retain their shape. Even years ago when Holden swapped a few in my VX when chasing a different fault, a week or two later I had another place replace the window regulator only to confirm that my fresh sliders were already broken also.

Is there a secret brand or method to good results? I don't want to go through it all again on both cars until I can try something different! thanks

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Or maybe it's standard to only have a few days drama free before they break

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
I assume there's no method that works, it's just luck.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I replaced the driver side sliders on my vx years ago with no dramas . I used genuine parts and a small clamp.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sounds to me if your breaking them all the time you will be better off replacing the whole regulator.

s-l640.jpg

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
I'm aware of that, that's not when they break. So yes, luck.
I did this again yesterday, 2 different brands, 3 broken installing to get a 4th one on complete with chamfered edges to aid install. Luck.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
No one has any tricks? I've tried a few different brands. Half break during install, many last a couple of days, the rest not much longer. I need to do this again.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Don't know what your doing, never had them break replacing them, just slide them in the track adjust the arms on the switch so you can pop them in. Is the mid point slider arm plastic guide intact if not the window will not go up even and break the bottom ones.