Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windscreen issue

BlueSSV_Scott

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
As you can see in the photos, along the top of my windscreen it seems to be either peeling away from the glue or water is seeping in or something. Does anyone know what this is? am i missing a rubber seal that runs along the top or has the windscreen been replaced and the glue/sealant they have used not holding properly? Any input on this would be great.
Thankyou
20130623_110830.jpg20130623_110849.jpg

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Regardless of what caused it, a new screen is needed. the 2 glass sections are coming apart. Not uncommon.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The white stuff, looks like tape residue to me to hold the windscreen in place whilst drying.
Sometimes with certain tapes the adhesive comes off the tape and onto the glass. White spirits.metho spirits and definately turps can remove it with a soft cloth. ONce removed, use some car wash and water along the top area to remove the residual spirits

Does look like a seal is there.

No other issues? No leaks?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Regardless of what caused it, a new screen is needed. the 2 glass sections are coming apart. Not uncommon.

By your photo's, it looks as though the windscreen is starting to de-laminate across the top edge.

BlueSSV_Scott

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Thanks for the input guys, I think it may be a tape/glue residue issue from the sounds of things as the problem is on the underside of the screen. No other issues though, water isnt getting through and nothings leaking as of now.

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
My 07 SSV is doing the same thing and is very slowly getting worse. To me it looks like its delaminating. No leaks no problem (except looking crap)

BlueSSV_Scott

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Ah ok then. Im not the only one then haha at least I know now its nothing major

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS

By your photo's, it looks as though the windscreen is starting to de-laminate across the top edge.

My 07 SSV is doing the same thing and is very slowly getting worse. To me it looks like its delaminating. No leaks no problem (except looking crap)

What these guys said, that's de-lam, I'd replace it promptly. The thing that makes a laminated windscreen safe is that it's laminated. There's no immediate threat as it is, but once the de-lam passes beyond as far as the polyurethane bead holds it in place (15mm or so inwards) your protection from outside intrusions is decreased.

BlueSSV_Scott

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
What these guys said, that's de-lam, I'd replace it promptly. The thing that makes a laminated windscreen safe is that it's laminated. There's no immediate threat as it is, but once the de-lam passes beyond as far as the polyurethane bead holds it in place (15mm or so inwards) your protection from outside intrusions is decreased.

Ok thanks for letting me know, I now have a follow up question, what causes this? Is it a bad quality windscreen or laminate, is it from being exposed to the weather? And how can I prevent it as someone else on here has said they have the same problem so is it a problem with the car itself or like I said is it just crap laminate or weather wear and tear. Again any input is appreciated.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Ok thanks for letting me know, I now have a follow up question, what causes this? Is it a bad quality windscreen or laminate, is it from being exposed to the weather? And how can I prevent it as someone else on here has said they have the same problem so is it a problem with the car itself or like I said is it just crap laminate or weather wear and tear. Again any input is appreciated.

Either of those, contamination during production, pressure issues in the autoclave or it's come into contact with a chemical that disagrees with the mylar (methanol/alcohol will dissolve it). Made right, weather won't bother it a bit, it's laminated at 11 atmospheres and 150c.

I have to admit though I think the precedence is on the rise due to lazy car manufacturing methods, leaving exposed edges with some cheap foam dam, vs. the old days where the edge had a mould and was all polyurethaned in together, even if some de-lam occurs, it won't travel and you won't see it, therefore it's a non issue. That said in 10 years I've seen very little comparatively.

Back when I worked a windscreen/laminated glass plant in Adelaide, one of the funniest things I ever saw was when a tech in the lam room obviously sneezed or coughed and it must have escaped the mask/suit. A windscreen is a giant Petri dish. In 12 hours it was the windscreen of growing bacterial grossness. We sent it through the oven at 1000c just to be sure and obliterated the damn thing.