Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windscreen rust repair

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Cheers for the advice. Lots of tape it is! Went and bought that rustbuster from bunnings. Got auto one brand etch primer and matt black acrylic in a can, also flap discs and wire brush attachment, scotch brite pads, tape.etc

Any technical reason for the matt black? Wasnt sure whether to get enamel or acrylic but saw acrylic and grabbed that. Wouldnt mind doing around the pillars and roof white and lower section black but if glossy paint is no good then I wont worry about it. Just in case the mould doesnt hide everything lol

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
it dosent really matter what color you use as long as you keep it behind the windscreen rubber. make sure you dont leave any of that etch primer exposed, because of the nature of its chemical design if its applied too thin water will soak into it and rust will be even worse. the reason why your using it is for adhesion purposes only (stick to bare metal). the matt black will seal all the the elements from getting through to the bare metal.

when i do around windscreens (how your going to be doing it) i do 3 nice wet coats of black in a can, giving it enough film build to keep water out. just give it time to flash off between coats (5 -10 mins depending on temperature). btw its a good idea not to get that rust buster on your existing paintwork, it will marr the clearcoat causing you to buff it to get the shine back (its phosphoric acid so wear gloves and eye protection too)... take your time do go ape ****, try and do all this stuff in one sitting too. once the metal is clean and ready proceed to over coating it. surface rust can start in 30 mins give or take...

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Got it all sanded back yesterday those flap discs really work a treat. Diddnt do too bad might have nicked the tape once but only on the edge of the tape. Plan was to knock it over in one day but I ran out of daylight and left the rust converter on overnight. Not too sure on the rust converter though, it turns all the rust black but once I give it a scrub some of it turns red again? Scrubbed it maybe 4-5 times now. Doesnt seem to bubble for me either. I really want to paint it today because its meant to rain this arvo.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Thought I'd try letting it soak in a bit more so I left it for nearly an hour and the rusty color (red?) was gone. Brushed some more on and within minutes the rusty color was back. If I scrub it comes back. If I put more on it comes back. Or is the rust considered to be treated and Im wasting my time? haha

Edit: put some elbow grease into the scrubbing seemed to come up alright this time!

Last edited:

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Thought I would update that I had a new screen fitted last week and the rubber hides everything. No more leaks and I'm very happy!

Thanks for the help :)

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
good on ya mate... :spot on: