Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windscreen Washer Bottle

opbatra2kn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 MY12
Being newbie in owning a car, I have very basic question.

I was under the impression that we always fill the Windscreen washer bottle with WATER, not some kinda fluid, but seems like I am wrong..?

What do we fill the Windscreen washer bottle with? Where to buy it from? I have Holden Commodore Sv6 Sedan... I doubt, it will vary based on the car, but just in case! :)

arthy23

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Monaro CV8 V2 SII
water is fine.. but some use a soap additive.. that apparently cleans it better.. but water is fine..!

Tapatalk! arthy23

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
Water is the best way to go. Dad used to add a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid to his cars but I've never bothered. Really isnt any need to spend money on additives :)

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Bars bugs.
Add it after you fill the washer bottle, otherwise it will foam up.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
You can get additives from Supercheap, Autobahn etc.. Products like Bars-Bugs which is just a soapy solution, you add with water.

I think it cleans the windscreen better personally.

This. Water doesn't do oil or grease and the liquid that often hits your windscreen contains such pollutants, you need emulsion in the mix. Detergent made for the job works amazingly well. I use a Holts product, one cap-full, it won't foam in bottle but leaves water on its own for dead and doesn't bother the paint or rubbers.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Meh, I just use a drop of window cleaner in the mix, works well. I probably wouldn't use it on a car that's worth more than $2 though

Taking donations of cash, card or full frontal nudity.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
This. Water doesn't do oil or grease and the liquid that often hits your windscreen contains such pollutants, you need emulsion in the mix. Detergent made for the job works amazingly well. I use a Holts product, one cap-full, it won't foam in bottle but leaves water on its own for dead and doesn't bother the paint or rubbers.

Where do you buy Holts?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
You can add say 20% metho, it will work wonders and won't leave streaks. Only problem is that it slowly evaporates and you may have to fill your washer bottle more often if you don't use it a lot.

Also, if you use a product like Rain-X on the windscreen (awesome stuff, highly recommend it) the metho will slowly strip it, so you will have to apply that more often too.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Bars Bugs is, and has always been a great product. As stated, just add after water.