Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windscreen Wipers - Big Issue

C

CoolAzza

hello to anyone that might be able to help me, yes ive just got a VN commodore 1990 3.8L i V6, and im having major issues with my passanger wiper mechanisim, the drivers side goes about its normal operation, but the passanger side barely even moves and when i get out of the car and try to pry the mechanisim a bit it goes up on its full stroke and a little bit further and subsiquntly falls into the moving path of the other you can just gess the mess it does to the window, and then if goes back into its normal crap of slapping around from an arc length of about 4 cm and dosent go on its full swing again, im not very mechanically minded, and i dont have the finances to get it looked at, at the momment.. i will go home tonight after work and see if i can sort something out my self hopefully.. need my wipers operating just in case it rains , its just so fu**en dodgey, i love holdens dont get me wrong, but simple things like this ussualy lead onto ther problems happening around the car, just found out that the seccond stage exhaust needs replacing, sure 150 bucks isnt bad, but when your 19 and on a traineeship and have a rego bill of like 500 bucks poping up in a few months time you dont have the nessasary funds to fix theses small problems, if any one knows or has had any experience with this happening could they let me know, the problems my be simple as removing the plastic guard and looking at the wiper mechinisum and "ajust", or it might be more fu*ken money to get it replaced , lol anyways if anyone can help me, or direct me to a page in this sorta info please do...

cheers

Az

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Wrote a part on how to remove the fan speed resistor in the HOW-TO section go and have a look at it, it is the same job to get to the motor and wiper mechanism. (obviously don't remove the fan speed resistor!)

You will most likely find that the pivot point is worn or the bolts holding the wiper mechanism is loose or worn. Check the teflon/rubber grommets for wear.

Also just try tightening the 13mm nut holding the wiper onto the pivot.

I think its only a small job (I think 4x 10mm bolts) to remove the whole wiper arm/motor assembly so if worst comes to worst pull it out and see the wreckers. Last time I checked I think they where worth (sorry cost) about $50, sorry I know, another $50 bucks but better than the bill to get someone else to fix it!!!!

Hope this helps

Regards GUY.

C

CoolAzza

Thanks alot guy, will look into it more this weekend for something to do, untill then i hope it doesnt rain (knock on wood) , thanks so much for your advice.. will look into it further...

thanks again guy