Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windscreen wipers don't seem to wipe enough?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Hi all,

Had my VFII for a few months now and I have an unusual gripe. I've noticed that the drivers side wiper doesn't seem to wipe close enough to the edge of the A pillar.

It leaves dirt and water marks a good 4-5cm into the glass area which affects my field of vision.

Coming from a VE which didn't seem to have this issue, I find it fairly disconcerting. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a similar issue, or is this normal for a VF?

Cheers :)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Not normal. Replace your wipers - you can't just replace the inserts like the traditional style. You need to buy the complete blades (approx $75 for the pair from the big auto stores)

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not normal. Replace your wipers - you can't just replace the inserts like the traditional style. You need to buy the complete blades (approx $75 for the pair from the big auto stores)

Thanks Evy, but the wipers themselves do a great job of cleaning the windscreen, so I don't think they need replacing. The issue is more that the drivers side wiper doesn't go far enough towards the A pillar. It seems that they are out of alignment or something.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Ah okay. Was thinking you meant at the top of the wiper arc. Not sure whether they're adjustable sorry

rouseabout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 in Red Hot, waiting for my VF11 SS
I reckon that the windscreen wipers run too fast. The water flicks off the end of the wiper instead of being pushed to the side/top/bottom of the screen. I use RainX on the windscreen and rarely use continuous wipe, usually medium rate intermittent.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
As mentioned above, try adding a water beading agent to the windscreen, rain x is the most common and lasts a while.
There are better products out there from specialty detail stores though.

Another thing you can try is unbolting the wiper arm from the wiper motor and moving it ever so slightly. From memory it's a 13mm nut. The whole arm will lift up with a little bit of force. Then you can "adjust" it to make it wipe closer to the a pillar

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Not uncommon for wipers being too low from factory. As bigjim said pop the rhs off when they're down and seat it up Xmm higher. That's Xmm closer to the a pillar on wipe.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
At low wiper speed I found my VZ didn't extend to the A Pillar and left a gap.

However in the high speed wipe mode, the blade travelled closer to the A Pillar.
Could be inertia in the mechanism and the blades being flung around.

If you do move the arm on the spline, check the high speed for contact with the A pillar.

I thought there was a measured distance between the wiper blade at rest and the base of the windscreen glass. I know my VT had a set distance in the service manual.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Sounds like a non-genuine service manual. Evey windscreen, moulding and body aperture is slightly different, whereas the stalks aren't so measurements from the base of the glass will be different. The guide we used to live by in the windscreen game was the wiper should be in line with the ceramic dots around the glass, in a downward angle.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks everyone for your help, I really appreciate it. I'll have a look at it tomorrow and do what bigjim suggested and let you all know how it goes. Cheers :)