Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Windsreen with HUD , Distorted vision and double vision

greggnleah

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF sv6 wagon 2005 VZ LX6 Adventra
Gday,

I have a 2017 sv6 wagon with the HUD,

Just wondering if any one else that has the HUD has noticed a distortion in the glass and a double vision mainly with head lights of oncoming traffic,

I have noticed that cars in the distance coming towards me look to have head lights and fog lights on but as they get closer the fog light really is the head light just seen double ?

I can live with the wobble distortion but the double head light thing is really getting annoying.

Am i crazy or do you guys see it to

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Gday,

I have a 2017 sv6 wagon with the HUD,

Just wondering if any one else that has the HUD has noticed a distortion in the glass and a double vision mainly with head lights of oncoming traffic,

I have noticed that cars in the distance coming towards me look to have head lights and fog lights on but as they get closer the fog light really is the head light just seen double ?

I can live with the wobble distortion but the double head light thing is really getting annoying.

Am i crazy or do you guys see it to
I've never noticed it in 3.5 years of driving with HUD sorry. But I wouldn't say that means you're cra cra. Have you tried adjusting the brightness at night?

greggnleah

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF sv6 wagon 2005 VZ LX6 Adventra
I've never noticed it in 3.5 years of driving with HUD sorry. But I wouldn't say that means you're cra cra. Have you tried adjusting the brightness at night?

I have the HUD off , soooo maybe it is just me then

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I never have mine off. I'll give it a go and let you know.

Walfers62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS-V Redline Manual
Do you mean the actual windscreen seems to distort light/objects?

@danvf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Ute
I have the same issue. Exactly as you describe it like it's double vision. It's been driving me nuts. I wanted to ask passengers if they noticed it but was concerned I might need to see an optometrist instead. However I Have a 2013 VF SV6 ute without HUD. And it's only a new windscreen as well replaced about 3 weeks ago. Wasn't sure if I didn't notice it in the old screen but pretty sure it didn't do it. It bugs me so much. I try to ignore it but my eyes just get drawn to the lights.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
HUD equipped vehicles require a special windscreen which is labelled HUD driver side bottom corner of the windscreen. This windscreen cost approx. $1100-$1200 compared with $120-$150 for the non HUD windscreen. It would be worth to check that the cars with problems with the HUD have the correct windscreen fitted. Just a thought.

@danvf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Ute
Mine isn't HUD equipped. And I checked to see if they had installed a HUD windscreen by mistake when I noticed the double vision. When it was installed I was told it was a genuine screen and cost about $350 to replace.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I drove tonight with the HUD off. No blurriness or double vision whatsoever.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
If they've installed a standard windscreen then you can get away with using a small overlay clear film you can buy off Ebay. If the double vision persists you MIGHT find you have a great degree of parallax error in your vision...usually meaning one eye is stronger than the other. This causes the weaker eye to be better with close-range stuff and the opposite with the other eye...amounting to a certain degree of double vision.