Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wingless Sprints; what is best?

TheGenesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VS Acclaim, '74 HJ Belmont Styleside Ute
Okay, I'm looking at building a Wingless Sprint and I'm finding it hard to set a budget for the engine build.

What engine is the best starting point?

VN SII
VP
VR SI
VR SII

and secondly what would my best budget be? Should I go a full rebuild with new crank, pistons, etc?Some guys have been spending $30,000 on these engines from KRE and Maxwills and some are just running motors straight from the wreckers with the methanol injectors.

Can anyone help? Preferably with some experience with racing these engines in any motorsport.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
VN S1 has more bottom end, I don't race but I have read a lot about people who do and what they use.

It depends how many RPM you expect to be on most of the time, I would check the torque curves of each one and the RPM the peak torque is but then again that's probably useless once you start modifying it.

Can you go a supercharged 6 ecotec? They can be had for about $1,000 and you can see big improvements per dollar spent over the N/A motors.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
I would go with a full rebuild. Don't know that you need to use a new crank, just get the original one linished?

Give it a gut full of compression and a dirty big bump stick. It'll spend most of its like at full noise.

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
It Dont matter to much cause u have to run a a standard engine and a set memcal in that class

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
I you can get a couple of engines just start off Racing with a old engine while you get one rebuilt and balanced
but make sure you get a spec book because they are pretty strict most of the time

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
As mentioned above,make sure the engine is fully balanced if you want it to hang together and last at high revs. Also make sure that good quality valve springs are used.They can break fairly easily when these engines are constantly run up around full revs.

WALLSHURT

Reaction score
Members Ride
WINGLESS SPRINTCAR
You all on the wrong track,I have raced these for 2 yrs now and I can tell you it has to be bog stock,2yrs ago the vic title winner stripped his winning wrecker engine after the event(this is mandatory after winning state/national titles)the engine was that tired the broken rings fell onto the ground when pistons were removed,this engine was taken from wreckers and fitted straight into wingless sprint.memcal must be origial type/oem and must be rewritten on dyno as we did,no piggyback systems allowed as we found out,we nearly copped a 9 month suspension for cheating and had to remove our system,you can buy memcals already to go to run methonol fuel which you must use as this is open wheel racing and methonol is the only fuel allowed, but are on the very safe side of air/fuel ratio as alot of owners dont have the money to spend a full day on the dyno,There is a detailed spec spreadsheet on the AWSR.com website or at AWSSA.com
our first run on dyno with wingless with a memcal that was bought already rewritten for meth was a dismal 121rwh and at the end of day we wheeled the wingless back into transporter with 178rwh. This put us up the front of all races after that day.This is due to the efforts of Brad at Advanced,I have heard of others getting higher readings but as we know every dyno has differences(I've been told)If anyone needs any help with basic setup,I can help,but the end of the day you have to spend the cash,development and money wins races and I have proven this for years!!!!! you can see our racing on facebook,search for UPFRONTRACING

WALLSHURT

Reaction score
Members Ride
WINGLESS SPRINTCAR
As mentioned above,make sure the engine is fully balanced if you want it to hang together and last at high revs. Also make sure that good quality valve springs are used.They can break fairly easily when these engines are constantly run up around full revs.

You cant do this,no balancing,no big springs,they have part # that you can use only,they are crane part# and you must remove dampner spring inside to be legal,We always change our gears through the night and try to stay off the legal rev limit of 6000rpm,if you get caught on data logger that you have revved more than 6000rpm you will get 12month ban and a reputation to go with it,