Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiper woes

desdichato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Commodore wagon
Hi,
Happy new year and all that, Just before the silly season started my VN wagon broke a wiper arm on the drivers side, I took it to the local mechanic to see if I could get it fixed quickly and they advised that it was going to be expensive for such a small job saying that VN parts are quite rare and $$$$ as well as being unable to find one locally, when I asked about an alternative I was told that later model wiper arms are different and could not be used on the VN.
I have since changed the passenger side arm over so I can at least use the car during the rather damp silly season. Looking on ebay and gumtree, there are plenty of blades but very arms that are reasonable priced.
Now things are starting to normalise I will try Repco and Supercheap but in the meantime I am hoping that someone can suggest an alternative that can work before I get done by the gentlemen in blue.
Thanks

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
If your talking about the actual cast arm that runs from the wiper motor they are prone to break,the stop start strain eventually causes fatigue in the casting.
Wreckers know this and replacement ones are expensive,the last one i purchased was over $100 IIRC and that was around 1999/2000 but it was the only one i could find,they were scarce even then.
Trawl Ebay/GT looking for parts or even the whole car,Country Wreckers are probably a better bet than City ones as most VN's are crushed by now.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Try facebook.

YEA.355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 355, VP BERLINA, KENWORTH 408
Check out a site by the name of ozcarparts in Smithfield, Sydney.
They have alot of hard to find bits

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Would the wiper arm be the same for VN > VS series ?
You could widen your search. A quick Ebay squizz shows a number of them which could be OK.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Perhaps the OP could come back and tell us which part of the arm has broken

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Pick n Payless at Blacktown if can be bothered with d.i.y. so can't say rare or expensive...just pain in butt if need change linkages if slpines worn smooth.

Wiper arms can be bought new from autobarn etc can't they?

From wiper motor,linkages & wiper arms all look same from vn-vs

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Pick n Payless at Blacktown if can be bothered with d.i.y. so can't say rare or expensive...just pain in butt if need change linkages if slpines worn smooth.

Wiper arms can be bought new from autobarn etc can't they?

From wiper motor,linkages & wiper arms all look same from vn-vs

If the splines are gone just clean with brake clean and use bearing retainer from locktight and rattle them on with a 3/8 gun.