Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wired As Per Diagram on This Site. Not Working.

P

Pritch

Hi,

I just brought home my new Pioneer CD/MP3 player. I have a VT Commodore Wagon, which has the Eurovox player in it.

I pulled out the old player and cut the wires away from the harness, I installed the Pioneers wires into the old wires as per the diagram on this site. The only descepancy was the power wire, in the diagram it says ORANGE/WHITE, but there was no ORANGE/WHITE only ORANGE/BLACK. So I used that, it was the only remaining wire as well.

I turn the car on, I get nothing from the unit, I hold on the power on button and nothing.

So I cut all my cables and just plugged in POWER and GROUND, tried it agian, using the cd eject button to see if there was any power, and I got nothing still.

Anyone got some ideas for me to diagnose the problem?

When I first cut the wires away from the old Eurovox, I got a spark, as i forgot to unplug the negative terminal of the battery. Could this of blown a fuse or something? If so, where would I find the fuse for the car stereo power, I couldn't see it in the fuse box.

Thanks a lot,

regards,

Pritch.

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Your power cable should be red. Remote power (the line that is used to turn it on and off when you turn the car on or off) is yellow. The colour of the cables on your head unit may be different, but you have the diagram. These both need to be connected and have power for it to turn on.

If you cant get it, take it to a pro installer.

P

Pritch

DJ Majah said:
Your power cable should be

I don't beleive thats correct, as there isn't a red cable.

I can take a picture of all the cable colors, but they are exactly the same as the chart except for the descrepancy I mentioned.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
Pritch said:
When I first cut the wires away from the old Eurovox, I got a spark, as i forgot to unplug the negative terminal of the battery. Could this of blown a fuse or something? If so, where would I find the fuse for the car stereo power, I couldn't see it in the fuse box.

Yep. Fuse is gone. There are two fuse boxes in VTs. The radio fuse is under the steering column.

After you change the fuse check the power wire with a test light or multimeter. These are available fairly cheaply and can save you from damaging something.

P

Pritch

Ahhh, thanks a lot, thats the info I need. I'll check under the steering column. Are fuses widely available?

P

Pritch

I couldn't see a fuse box, I saw some wires and what looked like some female plug connectors. Is this fuse box easy to get to? Or do I have to pull things apart to get to it?

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
Refer to your owners manual about how to open the fusebox cover which is under the steering column. There are pictures in there which show you how to do it better than I can put it into words.

There is a diagram on the fusebox cover (which is actually a sizeable chunk of the dash) which shows which fuses go where. I believe the radio fuse is of the type commonly known as a "spade" fuse. You can get them anywhere.

If you're planning on doing other stuff to your car, one of these is well worth it:

http://www.haynes.com.au/category98_2.htm

(scroll right to the bottom of the page)

P

Pritch

Yep job done, fuse was blown, re-installed head unit and works! phheww.

Now for an amp :( That'l be tricky.

P

Pritch

Can anyone tell me where to run the power cable from the battery?

And how do you get it under the carpet? Do you have to cut it up, or does it just pull up or what?