Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wireless Charger upgrade/replace old factory unit with pics

kwhelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR
Just got a VXR and dammed if I could get the wireless pocket thing to work on late model apple or samsung. Thought at first that it was a size alignment issue but on reading its just too old a technology in the charger in the car. Wasn't expecting that.
Seen on the buick forums someone mentioned a v2.0 wireless unit from GM but it doesn't seem to be listed anymore but its got me wondering
you can buy thin cheap wireless pads from Ebay/Ali and some will work through up to 50mm of wood.
has anyone fitted a unit in the front of the vertical pocket either inside or actual in front of the pocket( i guess disconnecting or removing the original unit first) shouldn't be hard to tap into the wiring or just use one of the usb ports, looks like there is plenty of room with those rubber bumpers to make it all work.
anyone done such a mod?
wondering if it could be even done with a wireless apple car play unit at the same time?

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I'm curious about the "to old technology " statement. We have a Nokia QI charging pad from the days of the Nokia Winows phones, so circ 1012, which happily charges a Samsung S10. It surprises me that the age of the tech is the problem.

I don't see why the charging pad couldn't be modded though.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
my fold 3 charges on a charge pad that was made in 2014 and the galaxy buds charge on it but the galaxy watch 4 does not charge on it.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
It's my understanding they all work the same way, however some devices need to be "accurately" positioned on the pad for charging to work. In the case of the one in our cars this may mean putting the phone in upside down or around the other way from another device that works when up the right way.

The only difference I've read is that the fast charging function can be manufacturer specific.

I haven't used mine as I don't have a wireless charging capable phone so I don't have any experience using it.

kwhelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR
these cars arn't Qi chargers apparently, bit like how the maps were way out of date the day the car went on sale. If you read the manual it clearly lists iphone 8 as the model that works in their charger pocket along with equivalent androids
2018 was the year the iphone xs models came out.
It's my understanding they all work the same way, however some devices need to be "accurately" positioned on the pad for charging to work. In the case of the one in our cars this may mean putting the phone in upside down or around the other way from another device that works when up the right way.

The only difference I've read is that the fast charging function can be manufacturer specific.

I haven't used mine as I don't have a wireless charging capable phone so I don't have any experience using it.
its nothing to do with orientation, tried multiple phones every which way, apple and android. the iphone actually brings up a notification on the screen with the 3 pics that are on the sticker by charger with a dismiss option, but phone never charges.
found on ali a unit that fits into the pocket behind gear lever, straight replacement, no lid but has charger built in.
actually makes more sense as who wants, or can even contort their arm to actually open the armrest and insert phone anyway. its a two handed operation that involves alot of twisting, and you can't exactly drive with the armrest up so its a repeat at the end of your journey.
drop phone into that pocket and put on seatbelt, done

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

there are some differences within the charging standard that can make some devices incompatible.

kwhelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR
Last edited:

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Interesting reading.

I don't have a wireless device but if I did I think I'd be pulling the OEM charging pocket out and modifying it to take a functional QI pad.

Last edited:

iZ_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais ZB Tourer
On my Calais 2019 ZB, I can charge my Google Pixel 6 Pro wirelessly, but it's pretty slow. I removed the soft plastic holder to fit the larger phone.
If I'm using wireless Android Auto with AAWireless, the battery drains quicker than it charges.

No idea if upgrading it would make any difference.

kwhelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR
pulled the wireless charger out today, lazy just removed the flip open housing in console and worked through that hole to remove the unit,might have to be a bit further dismantled to get it back in though, pretty tight manged to drop a couple of screws during removal.

wireless seems over-engineered for a simple task of charging, has 3 wires on plug so must have something to do with detection of the phone and information appearing on the entertainment screen.

thumbnail_IMG_1568.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_1567.jpg

Last edited: