Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wireless phone charger under AC controls

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ at the rate the ZB's are selling, who knows, they may soon be discounted to the point where they'll be checp enough tp pick up for spares :p

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
If only. I know its been overstated but having AA or AC at factory quality without disrupting anything else would be amazing from a safety and function standpoint.

M

mwb235

i reckon @mwb235 would have an answer or idea for this

Thanks mate, sounds like a great idea. I recently updated to a Samsung S9 after years with iphones and I'm very happy with it. I will buy a genuine wireless charging pad but it's on my rather long list of things to do/buy. So give me time...

I'd make up some sort of custom mount moulded into the console somewhere but I don't even own a charging pad yet, so I don't know what shapes and sizes I'd be working with. I'll post in this thread if I come up with something.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6

V8 TIL 98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II MSE
Keen to see this - and I’m sure there are a bunch of us prepared to pay good money to have it as a boxed solution.

Matt SS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline My17
a project that I have not managed to find time to finish is installing a wireless charging coil under the rubber insert below the ac controls.
qi.jpg

its pretty simple to just use the guts out of a charging pad and connect it to a 12v>5v usb charger and hard wire it to the wires that go to the 12v acc socket.
doing it this way I can just put the coil below the rubber insert so everything looks factory but placing the phone there will allow it to charge.
Will a phone fit flush to the coil in this situation? I'd guess that it would need to be Level with the front lip of the storage area. I'd probably throw a magnet in to keep things from sliding about.

Anyhow, just a thought.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
The problem I'd envisage with the implementation of a wireless charging pad into the car is the time it will take to charge the phone. They are as slow as buggery when plugged into an AC wall adapter let alone a car power outlet.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The problem I'd envisage with the implementation of a wireless charging pad into the car is the time it will take to charge the phone. They are as slow as buggery when plugged into an AC wall adapter let alone a car power outlet.
I don’t have any issue charging my phone using either the manufacturer’s USB cable or wireless via the manufacturer’s fast charge wall wart. Both take just over an hour and a half when the phone is about to shut down. Wireless takes a little longer, maybe ten minutes, but it’s not an appreciable amount so I’d hardly describe it as ‘slow as buggery’.

Maybe the closeness of wired/wireless charging is an indication my three years old phone’s internal battery needs to be replaced. But as is, it suites my needs and I definitely don’t fancy waisting over a grand buying a new phone.

I’d guess the phone manufacturer’s dc fast charges and wireless pad would provide similar performance to that of the 240v version, maybe.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Wireless takes a little longer, maybe ten minutes, but it’s not an appreciable amount so I’d hardly describe it as ‘slow as buggery’.

Clearly we've had different experiences with wireless charging then.