Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wiring an extra check engine light VT series 1

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
Anyone please help, need an extra check engine light wired up for a custom job. I've looked at the aldl wires and even splicing into the instrument cluster wires to no avail.
Much appreciated in advance.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
Anyone please help, need an extra check engine light wired up for a custom job. I've looked at the aldl wires and even splicing into the instrument cluster wires to no avail.
Much appreciated in advance.

That's pretty simple just solder 2 wires where the globe base makes contact on the cluster, connect the second light where you want

remember both will light

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's pretty simple just solder 2 wires where the globe base makes contact on the cluster, connect the second light where you want

remember both will light

Thanks Oska BUT- This would be extra simple if I had the cluster installed.... All the VT wiring is transplanted into a 60 year old car!

So I need to use the wires from somewhere else and that is what I need help on

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
ok

all the information is carried on the serial data line pin 12 on the cluster, then the MCU in the cluster interprets the signal to turn on the warning lights. even if you were to mount a cluster somewhere you would also need every sensor that was fitted to the engine to operate correctly

so i don't think it would be possible i thought you just wanted to mount a secondary CIL

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah wish i had the original cluster installed but can't even hide it somewhere. I've manage to convert all the other wires into the the cluster except this (and the horn :( )

I think using instrument cluster pins 6 and 12 -ve with 19 and 20 +ve illuminates it but unsure if it will work ok

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
I can also see 5v 'flashing' off the green/white serial data signal wire (when ALDL 5n6 are bridged) but can't get a bulb to flash with it for some reason. Don't know if its just not enough juice, my knowledge here is lacking

Frank A

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I can also see 5v 'flashing' off the green/white serial data signal wire (when ALDL 5n6 are bridged) but can't get a bulb to flash with it for some reason. Don't know if its just not enough juice, my knowledge here is lacking

Trying to do the same thing on my v6 conversion,my PCM doesn't seem to have a green/white serial data pin? Any ideas?