Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wiring diagram for engine harness VB-VH V8

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
anyone have a copy?

got a project, want to rewire a V8 thats been put into a Hilux.

its the engine from a VB-VH series 308.

just need it so i can be sure i dont miss anything when re-wiring it!

cheers!

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
How's this?

Attachments

• VB-VH_V8_WIRING.jpg
    VB-VH_V8_WIRING.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 116,194

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
Huge help! thanks!

But a few queries...

The Fuse Bar:
I'm assuming when the ignition is turned on, the PINK wire powers fuse10 and then back out through fuse14, fuse11 and fuse9 (not labelled??)

To: Instrument Panel
this comes off the PINK wire just before fuse 11. Is this for Instrument panel illumination?

Temperature?
Where is the sensor wire that comes from the temp sendor unit? come to think of it... where is the temp sendor unit in this diagram?

Please Explain?
What are the following parts and how do they contribute?
- Cold Feed Switch
- Anti Dieseling Solenoid
- Trans Controlled Spark Switch

Manual transmission
Since its connected to a manual trans... can the following circuits be removed/ignored?
- Detent Switch (Turbohydramatic)
- Detent Switch (Trimatic)
- Detent Switch Automatic transmission
- Neutral Safety switch (Automatic Trans Only)

Distributor Vacuum Advance Solenoid
I assume this is like a timing controller... changine the spark timing based on the carbie vacuum?

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
I can't really help ya with the rest. But when wiring up my 173 (wiring is pretty much the same for ur 308). I ran the power cable from the battery in the back to the starter. A cable off the starter then went into a distribution block in the cabin (to power accessories) then over to the ignition. From the ignition there's 2 wires which get joined together, then run over to the positive on the coil. One is for the key when it's 'on', and the other for when they key is on 'start', just so when the key is in both positions, there is power going to the coil. Also another wire from the ignition goes over to the solenoid on the starter motor. You'd have to use the Hilux wiring diagram to find out where they go on the ignition.

Then all that's left to get her running is the dizzy wiring. On my 173 which has an electronic dizzy, one of the wires is earthed out, and the other goes to the negative side of the coil.

I'm using an electric Speco oil gauge, and I got a sender unit with the gauge. I just ran a new wire for that too, as everything is getting rewired.

Yes u should be able to forget about those wires for the auto trans, u won't need them.

I haven't connected the anti dieseling solenoid or anything else on my carby except the fuel line, a vacuum line to the dizzy (for the vacuum advance...rest are plugged) and the throttle cable...so yeah can't help ya with that.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
heres something out of the factory book

Attachments

• vh3.jpg
    vh3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 56,713
  • vh3eng.jpg
    vh3eng.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 54,930
Last edited:

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride

Don't suppose u have a copy of that book on ur puter hey, or is it just a hard copy?

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII

I can JUST read it... could you possibly scan it at a higher resolution?

did some researching though...

Cold Feed Switch (CFS)
Screwed into the head from HZ on. It's function is to prevent vacuum spark advance until the Engine Temperature exceeds 65 degrees C to minimise emissions.

Trans Controlled Spark Switch (TCS)
Mounted on the gearbox, This makes contact when in high gear only and controlled the timing advance, part of emissions.

CFS & TCS working together
The Transmission Control Switch (TCS) is mounted on the Gearbox and only permits Vacuum Advance to the Distributor when the vehicle is in Top Gear. The purpose of it is to reduce emissions during the warmup phase. It is placed in series with the Cold Feed Switch (CFS) switch on the Engine so that full Vacuum Advance is only available when the engine is at or above 65 degrees temperature and the car is in top gear.

Anti Dieseling Solenoid
Mounted on the side of the carbie, The anti-diesel solenoid is used to prevent engine run-on after the ignition switch is turned OFF. The system uses a valve to shut off the supply of fuel to the primary low speed circuit, when the engine is turned off. The solenoid is normally closed and when energized, the needle assembly retracts, allowing fuel to flow through the primary low speed circuit.

Temperature guage wiring still eludes me??
Still can't find the temp gauge wiring... yes i know where the sender unit is and so on... but just curious why its not in the diagram?

so you can see how they all interact and what you "could" get away with removing... but if they work... and you have them... better off with them! :thumbsup:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I rescanned it at higher res and added the instrument diagram in my previous post
Its from a hard copy but Ill help anyone out with a few scans of whatever you want as long as its not the whole book

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
huge help! thanks!!!

Blammer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toowoomba
Anyone have an efi v8 wiring diagram for a vb? Converting my vb 6 cylinder to a 5L auto v8. Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers
Bill