Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring fog lights using the fog light switch

CacTuar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Standard Ute
I went out and got the headlight switch with the pullout foglight switch on it to replace my standard one in my VZ, and I can't figure out how to get 12v out of it to switch a relay. There is an unused pin in between the white w/grey stripe and the black wire, and I can get 12v from that one switched with the pullout/in switch, but only when the switch is on the auto position. any other postion and theres nothing. I'd like to get it so the fogies can turn on from the parkers right through to the auto. Any ideas or help appreciated!

CacTuar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Standard Ute
I tired to map out all the pins and where they switch, and after realising that one of the two main ones was for the lamps in the switch, I realised that there is another pin that does nothing. I opened the thing up, saw how it worked and now i've done a bit of a solder job and i'm pretty sure that it's right. There is a track that when the pull button is pulled out connects up the two sides of the track, but it normally connects to the common ground. I scratched a line in the PCB, soldered a wire from the track that connects when the switch is pulled out for the fog lights to come on, so now it comes in from the fog light pin, around the switch and out the new soldered wire and out through the other unused pin. Sorry if thats hard to follow, i'm pretty bad at explaining things in writing :). Can anyone think of a problem with doing it this way?

ad45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wagon S2
g'day mate bit off the subject but how much was the switch and where did you get it from, been looking for one.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
I tired to map out all the pins and where they switch, and after realising that one of the two main ones was for the lamps in the switch, I realised that there is another pin that does nothing. I opened the thing up, saw how it worked and now i've done a bit of a solder job and i'm pretty sure that it's right. There is a track that when the pull button is pulled out connects up the two sides of the track, but it normally connects to the common ground. I scratched a line in the PCB, soldered a wire from the track that connects when the switch is pulled out for the fog lights to come on, so now it comes in from the fog light pin, around the switch and out the new soldered wire and out through the other unused pin. Sorry if thats hard to follow, i'm pretty bad at explaining things in writing :). Can anyone think of a problem with doing it this way?

at the risk of sounding retarded, does the switch you purchased have a led on it? like a little light so when you turn it on, it light's up?

cheers
garth.

p.s. all switches that have a light inside the switch will have 3 terminals, 12v in, 12v out and a neutral, or earth. neutral is there for the light only. you realy wanna make sure you got the switch switching a relay, the last thing you want is 15 odd amps going threw a little switch. not a nice thing.

CacTuar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Standard Ute
First up, sorry for not replying sooner,I didnt check this post for a while.
AD45, i got the switch straight from Holden. It was 73.50 just for the switch. Stupid, huh?
Garth, yeah dont worry, it's through a relay. I put it in the main fuse/relay box under the bonnet. It looks pretty genuine, at least I think so. It does have (I think) 4 leds in it, but they are only for when the parkers come on. There is no special LED for identifying when the foglights are on.

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
Front fog lamps use OPTIONALLY a green LED/bulb worldwide (despite Hella Australia messing up and going yellow sometimes on some OEM installs).

Yellow or Amber LED/pilot light is mandatory for a rear fog lamp circuit.

Last edited:

Cobra30

Reaction score
Website
www.cobra30.com
Members Ride
VY V6 S2 Crewman
First up, sorry for not replying sooner,I didnt check this post for a while.
AD45, i got the switch straight from Holden. It was 73.50 just for the switch. Stupid, huh?
Garth, yeah dont worry, it's through a relay. I put it in the main fuse/relay box under the bonnet. It looks pretty genuine, at least I think so. It does have (I think) 4 leds in it, but they are only for when the parkers come on. There is no special LED for identifying when the foglights are on.

The indication for fog lights 'on' is on the instrument cluster............ but again, it's not wired in by default.