Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring Harnesses for VZ?

scoMale

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Is there a wiring harness available for the VZ connectors to convert to a new head unit?

I notice from the "Comprehensive guide on how to install an aftermarket stereo in a VZ SV6 Commodore" guide that there are three connectors - top, middle and bottom.

It appears that he has bought a "Universal Male ISO Connector", which would appear to connect to the middle and bottom connectors.

Is there a connector you can get for the top connector to get access to the Telephone and Steering control wires?

I am also interested in the wiring of the antenna wires. Is there a way to convert from the "Auto Antenna" singal to the antenna up/antenna down connections? If so, how should they be wired?

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
There are standard wiring harnesses available for the bottom 2 plugs. I have a couple lying in my office, if you want one.

From memory, the top connecters relate to the steering wheel controls and communication with the factory dash display - I don't know of any adapters for that plug, given that the adapter would have fairly limited uses. If you need to make connections to the top plug, it might be worth looking at alternatives to buying a whole adapter plug...I just made "pins" by soldering a slender lump of solder on the bare end of the wires I connected, plugged them in and taped them in place. 10,000km so far without a problem.

I'm not sure about how the antenna control idea. Obviously there is a correct way of wiring them but I don't understand how they work.

scoMale

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Thanks for the info klaw - I'll use your idea for accessing the steering controls for use with a CAT device.

I think the 'sticky' on VK-VZ wiring colours was confusing me.

The wiring colours guide mentions:
Antenna up - White (VR onwards)
Antenna down - Blue (VR onwards)

But, from the "Comprehensive guide on how to install an aftermarket stereo in a VZ SV6 Commodore" it appears that the standard ISO connector for the VZ is very standard - and the pins appear to match most modern aftermarket stereos - with a single wire for the "Auto-Antenna". (Which explains why my factory stereo cannot control the height of the antenna).

I should be able to get a standard cable to convert from which ever head unit I get to the ISO connector.

For example, I am considering getting this Clarion stereo:
DUZ386MP

It has these features that I need for best integration:
Phone mute
Auto antenna
Hard connection for steering controls
Rear USB (I'll pull this through to the glove box) - with direct connection capability to IPODs.

Can anyone comment on the quality of this unit, or other Clarion head units?