Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring Help for Dash Cam Hard Wiring

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Hey guys,

whilst waiting on delivery of my new ride, i have researched and decided on a dash cam system to buy, ill be getting the Blackvue 650something something... with the power magic box.

i had watched a handful of videos about hardwiring this system, and thought sweet, looks straight forward, but just learnt the VF fuse panel in the dash might be a bit trickier, there was a thread from last year talking about similar things, but no real answer.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vf-commodore-doc-connector.227006/page-1

Can somebody give a bit more info on how to hardwire in, either using a fuse tap, or the empty pins in that DOC connector. i am hoping i can achieve this either by a fuse tap or splade, i don't feel like stripping wires and soldering. and if you know exactly what number fuses to use, that would be great :)

i need a constant power (for parking mode), accessory on power, and the ground is fine.

cheers, Troy

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
+1

I'm looking into this too, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
I did mine last week (VF2 Calais V). Very straightforward.

Much the same as the commodore vids I've seen here and elsewhere.

Remove glovebox
Install dashcam
Hide cabling behind roof lining
Pop out passenger side A Pilllar cover (no screw on mine, just pull from the top first - be wary of airbag wiring)
Run cable down behind airbag apparatus into area behind glovebox
Find DOC connector (easy to find, it's the only one there)
On mine there are only 3 (or maybe 4) pins inc Earth, Acc, 12v constant.
Work out which is which with test light or multimeter
I bought the powerbox as well so the dashcam male end (to power) inserts into the powerbox female socket which in turn is connected to the DOC socket.
I used these http://tinyurl.com/hu5xa9g to connect socket wires to DOC socket pins (just need to spread them a little). I'm a bit old fashioned so I soldered cable end into the blade terminals. I connected the earth wire to a bolt in the area.
edit: Forgot to mention that I stuck the powerbox (Vicovation Power Plus) in the back corner of the glovebox and because of the connector position didn't need to drill a hole, just fed the wires up beside the glovebox and over the side wall.
I wrapped power male/female + extra cabling in some foam and cable tied out of the way - there's plenty of room in there.
Test, put everything back together, enjoy.

Happy to answer questions...

Last edited:

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Hey Poor Old Man, thanks for that!
do you know if the DOC connector has its own fuses from factory back at the fuse panel? as an absolute ticking every box, i would like to make sure if the camera is running when I'm not around that it is fussed between the power source at some point.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
how do you find the blackvue?
I like it, I have had to reformat it a couple of times, once on an extremely hot day parked in the sun and another time because date was wrong.
You can really only read number plates when they are right in front of the car though.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
do you know if the DOC connector has its own fuses from factory back at the fuse panel? as an absolute ticking every box, i would like to make sure if the camera is running when I'm not around that it is fussed between the power source at some point.

I would be very surprised if the +ve and acc pins are not fused.

I don't have a wiring diagram but you could ask in the "Electrical Wiring / Questions".

My dashcam came with an inline fuse on the +ve (which I used because it was there) so if you can't get a definitive answer and it's a bother for you, you could always add an inline fuse to the acc side as well.

Personally I'm not worried about the remote possibility it isn't adequately fused.

Chefie

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #1133 SOAG, Daily
sorry about reviving an old thread,

does anyone know if the hardwire Blackvue install impacts the Holden warranty ??

I grabbed the 900s and neo battery but want to install properly

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
It will if your car catches fire due to a wring instal error. Not likely to happen though.