Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring Issue VN - After Series 2 motor put in Series 1 car

ghog1726

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Exec
Hi, Im new here so forgive me if i've posted this in the wrong place.

I have recently put the engine from a series 2 vn into a series 1 vn (after engine in s1 had complications). All is in and running, however it is a little rough @ startup & the alternator does not seem to be charging, assuming then alternator was stuffed as it wasn't perfect in the first place i have gotten a reco'd one and placed that in today. Now the only difference/problem i have encountered thusfar is that the Plug for the loom on the Series 2 Engine is on the loom attached to the engine where as there is also one attached to the Series 1 body loom, im taking a stab and saying thats got something to do with it, just wanting any suggestions or help with this please:)

also would it be advisable to change the engines computer from the series 2 into the series 1??? if so whereabouts is the computer located i have already changed the gearbox computer after having problems with the kickdown, this fixed these issues, so im assuming changing the ecu would be a good idea. Thanks in advance

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
1 did you use the same engine loom 2 there is no automatic computer 3 explain better

ghog1726

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Exec
there are 2 looms the loom attached to the car - and the loom attached to the engine, the one attached to the engine came from the series 2 and stayed on the engine as it went into the series 1 car, everything has been fine except the plug for the alternator is on both looms (the three pin plug that plugs into the back of the alternator). On the series 2 engine the plug is on the loom that is attached to the engine, whereas on the series 1 body the same plug is in the loom attached to the body, not the engine. The loom on the engine came out of the series 2 still attached to the engine, and into the series 1 still attached to the engine, the loom from the series 1 engine is still attached to that engine. The battery goes flat. so the alternator is not charging properly. The alternator is a known good alternator, and as such it is a wiring problem, Different batteries have been used to no avail.

The computer (unless it is the cars computer full stop), is in the passenger footwell kickpanel. This is the one i changed and fixed issues i was having with kickdown aswell as take off from standing start.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
:p do u have the lil red or taned wire that clips into i think its a short white wire, that inturns clicks onto the positive terminal . if you dont have that connected no charge :p i found out the hard way

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
allso the plugs by the battery that join the engine harness to the body harness are wired differently between S1 and S2 i think.ide put the S1 loom on the s2 engine and extend the coolant sensor wires .that ecu is the engine ecu too nothing at all to do with the auto except the torque converter lockup.the S2 engine will run better on the memcal in the S2 ecu.both ecus are the same.

ghog1726

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Exec
the plugs that join the engine harness to the body harness all match up, they could be wire different, i'd already thought the best option would be to mimic the s1 loom (rather then use the actual loom its a bit dodgy) ill just make up a copy. Thanks for that i thought there might have just been somethin i was missin

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VN Commodore
I have just fully reconditioned a series 2 engine (EV6 printed on block) out of a NV and i intend on droping it into an immaculate series 1 VN Commodore executive, wat are the main differences in the wiring and layout of the series 2 engine as opposed to the series 1, would anyone advise such a swap of engines?

holden_4_life

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Hi i am new here so please forgive me if i have worded thsi all wrong.....

I have a series 1 vn commodore wid series1 loom can i use that???? or do i have to remove it and put in a series 2 loom??? and will my series 1 gear box fit into my series 2 engine??? i know i have to change over the fly wheel form 6 bolt 2 8 bolt series 2 fly wheel and change over the beargs near the crank to S2 bearings. Are the bearings easy to change??? and so is the flywheel??? and how do u connect up the alternator so it works in wif the series 1 loom??? and do u have to change the gearbox mounts and engine mounts??? and the series 1 manual computer??? and is there anything else i need to know that i have to do or change????

Regards
Allan.

Last edited:

holden_4_life

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Sorry i am new here so i dont know if i ahve worded this wrong or wat......

I have a series 1 vn commodore wid series1 loom can i use that???? or do i have to remove it and put in a series 2 loom??? and will my series 1 manual gear box fit into my series 2 engine??? i know i have to change over the fly wheel form 6 bolt 2 8 bolt series 2 fly wheel and change over the beargs near the crank to S2 bearings. Are the bearings easy to change??? and so is the flywheel??? and how do u connect up the alternator so it works in wif the series 1 loom??? and do u have to change the gearbox mounts and engine mounts??? and the series 1 manual computer??? and is there anything else i need to know that i have to do or change????

Regards
Allan.