Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring light bar into VZ Commodore.

Darren65

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 ve omega
Afternnon all.
Still working on the timing chains in my daughter vz ute. Hope to get back onto that in a few days.

My question involves a light bar with harness. It has me stumped and I,ve been following other posts on the site.
The harness has a Red and Whire wire coming from the switch inside the cab.
I located the green wire and White /b wire from behind the headlight. i also changed the relay to one with numbers. Ive tried a few ways but the light bar comes on once the battery is connected and the only way to turn it off is disconnect the battery.
So 30= 12v power, 87= power to light bar, 85 =negative plus one instruction joins the White/black wire to I assume the red internal switch wire to 85? and 86= green wire from headlight plus I think i joined the white wire from the internal switch.
Does any of this make any sense?
Does anyone have a wiring picture for the chinese wiring harness wired into a commodore?
Thanks.

Darren65

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 ve omega
Thanks, these are the instructions I'm trying to follow. I think my issue is where does the red and white go from the internal switch.
I have the earth wires going to relay 85. I will take them off and wire as per these instructions and see what happens.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
as the positive on the headlights isn't switched its live constantly you'll need to change the wiring if you aren't
using the rectifier that came with the kit, if it the kit was designed for negative switching. As the relay coil is connected to the high beam element when its off the globe element is in series with the coil, it will leave enough energy there to hold the rely in. is probably why your relay is staying on.
The extra switch goes in series with the relay coil to hi beam element .
i like the plug in loom with the rectifier as I don't have to molest the factory wiring.
I think the kit you have doesn't have the rectifier maybe its meant for positive switching.
hth

Last edited:

Darren65

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 ve omega
Thanks Folks.

Got it sorted. I took the negative wires off relay plug 85. Placed red wire from internal switch on 85 and then joined white wire from switch to white/b wire from behind the headlight plug and it works. Just need to tidy the job up and all good.
So what I've learnt is not to use the supplied relay and think outside the square.
Thanks.