Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring loom discovery

V6025

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
Hey people, ive have a problem that has been doing my head IN. lol.
So i thought i would share it with you all. It all started with a fault code number 48 on my 1998 VT 5-speed Commodore so I did as the book said and disconnected the harness to the cam sensor and tested it was a multimeter.

The service manual said to disconnect the camshaft positioning sensor harness with the ignition on the voltage between harness connector terminals A-B should be 5 -7 volts and between terminal B-C 8- 11 volts.
Well I tested it and between B-C i had the battery voltage, but between B-A I had nothing.

So I thought.It was a short from that wire being a broken wire somewhere, a problem with the DFI module,or maybe the ECU.
So I tested the A wire, i had continuity to the dfi module.
The A wire is brown and it was traced to female plug E on the DFI Module.

Well i've owned the car for about 8yrs and it's ran crazy fast
Seemingly problemless. Until a couple of weeks ago. I'm not a sparky by any means but i have been trying to teach myself with alot of help from youtube.
I joined just commodores and asked questions and got help and suggestions from some great people on this site trying to help me with my problem.
Immortality named it a unique problem. And i agreed.
Well yesterday Lex sent me some reading material and after reading it. I noticed something that didnt make sense.

This info i got from Lex said that the slot F on theDFI Module was the CAM signal from the crankshaft position sensor and slot E was the Instrument Panel Tachometer signal.
Well i've never had a working
Tacho.
So it made sense to me that what i was seeing couldnt be a coincidence?

After cutting the tape off the wiring lume i found that lots of wires had been twiched together. Probably to join a segment of lume to replace a broken DFI Module Harness?
Who the @#$/ knows.
Anyway i swapped the brown wire in slot E with the black wire in slot F. And BINGO!!
When i tested the cam sensor connector i now have the right voltage on the cam signal wire.
I also joined the black wire in slot F with the brown wire and when i get the car back together. Im probably gonna have a working Tacho????
I will post my findings then.

But the MOTTO TO THIS NOVEL.
Is dont trust whats under the taped up wiring. Pullit off as far as you need to. Cause you never know what you will FIND???
HOPE THIS WILL HELP SOMEONE?? OR Even give them the Confidence to push yourself into boundries that are
Scary or unknown.
I'M NOT A SPARKY. BUT I'VE NOW FIXED MY PROBLEM.
PARTLY DUE TO STUBBORNESS, ADVERSITY, AND HELP. THX LEX, AND EVERYONES INPUT AND HELP.
IV'E NOW SAVED SHITLOADS BY DOING IT MYSELF AND NOT SHELLING OUT ON A SPARKY THAT MAYBE WOULD SAY SOMETHING LIKE:
IT COULD BE YOUR ECU????
AND HERES MY BILL. $$$$$$$$