Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring loom

Ballzup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 1984
Hi All,

has anyone here done a complete re-wire of their car? I have a VH SL/E that needs all new wiring. I have the original loom and either want to buy a new one off the shelf of get one made to the same specs as the original one in my car.

Any suggestions as to who to contact? Seeking good experiences with reputable auto elecs/manufacturers.

I'm in Vic but happy to pay to get one shipped from interstate if the quality is good.

Cheers

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
There is so much stuff in sle harness & extra add-ons from factory that lower spec cars dont have I'd be inclined to fix harness you have if possible & it's not too bad.
The engine bay is where most trouble will occur,stems from bad connections as plugs get brittle/loose/broken.

Been fixing my sle wiring & most issues caused from people adding crap or dodged work.

Ballzup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 1984
Cheers but I'm doing a full restoration and want everything as new as possible. Wiring degrades over time which impacts on things from brightness of lights to reliability of connected components.

Mine is so broken down in some areas you can hear the copper snapping when you bent the cable.

So must be an all new loom for the whole car.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Most things for these very difficult to find new & if you do kidney prices...even 2nd hand parts needing work aren't cheap.

These had dull headlights,dashlights & slow cranking issues early on from almost new...most of it can be easily fixed adding common relays & new harness plugs.

However would buy new engine harness if correct one found & battery cables to make look new in engine bay.

Ballzup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 1984
Yep. To clarify I'm after all new wiring for the whole car.

To refer back to the opening post, I'm looking for anyone that's god a good source of after market off the shelf looms or a good auto elec that could make one.

While I'm grateful for the tips, if people could just stay on topic that would be awesome.