Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring Problem Electric Window & Central Locking.

desone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT BERLINA SERIES 1
I have a 99 VT Berlina Sedan. A couple of years ago the central locking in the rear passenger side door ceased to work. I pulled the door apart and installed a new central locking solenoid. I made no difference.

I checked the operation of the solenoid by installing it in the opposite side door and it worked ok. It obviously wasn't the solenoid itself. I just decided to put up with the problem.

Now the power window on the same door has crased to operate. The window was stuck half way up. I tested it with the motor running. I could get the window to go down but not back up.

It would appear to be the wiring harness. I suspect the problem to be broken wires where the wiring from the door enters the door pillar.

Has anyone else had a similiar problem with their VT or other models?

How difficult is it to remove the wiring harness and repair? I an very handy with a soldering iron and use of heatshrink.

Would it be easier to just purchase a new section of the harness from GMH?

If the harness is not the problem could it be the BCM module?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I think it might be difficult to remove the rubber boot section of the loom without wrecking it. New door looms are available from Holden but not real cheap. If you but a second hand loom make sure you get the right one because series 1 is different to series 2, and make sure they haven't broken all the plastic clips when they ripped it out.
I would disconnect the old loom at the rubber boot section and check the wires with a multimeter first to see if any are broken.

desone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT BERLINA SERIES 1
I think it might be difficult to remove the rubber boot section of the loom without wrecking it. New door looms are available from Holden but not real cheap. If you but a second hand loom make sure you get the right one because series 1 is different to series 2, and make sure they haven't broken all the plastic clips when they ripped it out.
I would disconnect the old loom at the rubber boot section and check the wires with a multimeter first to see if any are broken.

Yes - thanks, I was going to do exactly as you suggested. I will go to Jaycar and get some additional wire and alligator clips. I already have a decent multimeter, several soldering irons and heatshrink.

I was wondering if anyone else had encountered the same problem. It is much easier to learn from other peoples experiences.

I am not 100% sure the problem is broken wires near the rubber boot but it is one hell of a coincidence that the central locking goes and then later the power window on the same door.

As I said in my post I checked the central locking solenoid and it is ok. It is obviously a wiring problem. The door opening and closing is the obvious place to look where the wiring is under stress. The other obvious places are the plugs. I checked them out when I repaired the door lock (nylon clips). I also know the nylon guides in the bottom channel of the window are a problem with VT commodores. I replaced two in the drivers side door window.

The car has never leaked water, so it is unlikely corrosion at the plugs is the problem. I will see if I can trace the wires to the bcm module and test them with my multimeter.

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
i didnt have the exact same problem but the connectors in the doors are a problem i got rid of them completely on both doors, and reconnected everywire without the plug, can be done without extending the wiring harness, did 1.5-2 years ago checked last week all wire were fine.

desone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT BERLINA SERIES 1
I pulled the offending door apart today. The problem was definitely the wiring harness between the door and the pillar.

The rubber boot was glued to a plug which fitted into the door pillar. I went to Eagers and Brisbane and purchased a complete replacement wiring harness. The cost was onlt $43. It only took about ten minutes to fit.

I tested the wiring prior to assembly of the door. Both the power window and central locking now work correctly.

The whole exercise turned out to be a relatively simple task.

CosmoVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S' Ute
From vr to vx, it is very common for the wires that run into the door to break.
it happens in the front door and the rear door all the time.
Ive had to replace them on customers cars all the time.