Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring reverse camera

Filb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY sedan+ wifes VYII wagon.
Hey all ive just got a reverse camera for the mrs car VYII wagon and wanted to know if the green wire in the factory wiring in the back is the reverse light wire and if there is a reverse wire in the front of the cabin so i can hook up the reverse camera to her head unit.
the reason for the question is so i can wire the camera in the back off the reverse light for power when in reverse and run a wire from the head unit to the trans so it knows its in reverse and switches the signal to the av in the unit and bing the camera is on going backwards.
also are the factory harnesses inputs 2.8mm so i can just plug all the wiring from the head unit into the harness of the commodore .its a jap stereo form an imported nissan elgrand came with a good headunit just poorly wired.
thanx for any help guys and girls

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Or do like I did and wire the power wire and the signal wire off the reverse tail-light, so the camera only turns on when the car is in reverse.

And I just check my VY tail-light wiring, the green is the reverse positive power.

Filb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanx acarmody ill do it that way sounds easier
unless someone else tells of a wire in the console or dash
cheers

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Just grab it from the tail light.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Thanx acarmody ill do it that way sounds easier
unless someone else tells of a wire in the console or dash
cheers

Easiest way, just have to lay all the wires down in one hit, and only do one solder.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Just pick the wire up from the tail light as said. It's easier than hunting for a wire that may not exist.

On a lighter note....
Maybe wire it to your brake lights.
That way you will be able to see when you're about to get rear ended.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
On a VY it exists... it's the later models that it doesn't. Reality is though, anything running forward will be nothing more than a signal wire and may not be designed to run anything extra. Where as the reverse light supply will definetly handle it.

Filb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanx guys Nut Kracker love ur idea Tasmaniak thanx for your wealth of knowledge should i put a higher amp fuse in the tail light fuse in the fuse box?
no offence intended but taz have you been installing since an install ment taping a transistor radio to the dash board:yeah: you seem to have a handle on all install i bow down to thee.
:bow:

thanx again

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Does the head unit have a dedicated input for a reverse camera? If it doesn't, you will have to manually switch it to AV input every time you put it in reverse. If it does, when the car goes in reverse and it powers up the camera, the head unit recognizes that power and automatically switches.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Thanx guys Nut Kracker love ur idea Tasmaniak thanx for your wealth of knowledge should i put a higher amp fuse in the tail light fuse in the fuse box?
no offence intended but taz have you been installing since an install ment taping a transistor radio to the dash board:yeah: you seem to have a handle on all install i bow down to thee.
:bow:

thanx again

lol, no offence taken, yeah I've been around a bit and installed in a few different countries now. But long story short, don't increase the amperage of the fuse. The camera draws bugger all power I just can't confirm that the signal wire is ok with it. Probably is... but... you know.

Good luck.