Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring Subs Down From 4ohm to 2ohm??

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Hi all, i have seen on videos and read about people wiring their 4ohm subs down to 2ohm so they can run them off a 2ohm amplifier. Can anyone tell me anything about this or how to do it?
Thanks!

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
OK, to wire up subs to get an impedance of 2 ohm you need 2x 4 ohm voice coils. This can either be 2 single 4 ohm voice coil subwoofers or a dual 4 ohm voice coil subwoofer. You basically join the two positives together and the two negatives together, then out to you amp.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
ah thankyou very much holden boy. so if i buy 2x jaycar response 10inch subs, each are dual 4 ohm voice coils, 250wrms each sub, i could wire them into my 500wrms at 2ohm cadence monoblock?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Ahh, no.

To get a 2 ohm impedance, you either need 2 4 ohm voice coils (so 1x 4 ohm dual voice coil subwoofer, or 2x 4 ohm single voice coil subwoofers) or 2x 2 ohm dual voice coil subwoofers.

In your situation, you would have a total of 4x 4 ohm voice coils (2 subs, each has dual voice coils). So you wire them in parallel and that would get you 1 ohm. In series would get you 4 ohm. They are your options using two 4 ohm dual voice coil subs.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
ah i see, thankyou very much. looksl like i'll go hunting for some different 10inch subs!
Thanks again mate.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep if you need a 2 ohm impedance for your amp, the most basic way to go is a single 4 ohm DVC sub. You can also go with two 4 ohm (SVC) subs.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks holdenboy, i think i foudn some 250wrms 2ohm kenwood single voice coils, might go with those. do you have any pointers for a dual 10inch enclosure?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Kenwood 2 ohm SVC subs? Link?

As far as an enclosure goes, it would depend on what you wanted from the subs and how much room youre willing to spare.

I'd imagine is nice, tight bass and a flat frequency response? Then about 1.0 cu.ft. each sealed is ideal, so 2.0 cu.ft. internal volume, 16-18mm MDF thickness. Box rear / sidewards firing.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Well yes you can "load" two of those subs down to 2 ohm. (each sub wired in series then wired in parallel together = 2 ohm).

What type / size of box?