Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring Subwoofer to Amp

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Ok, most of you would know I now have my sub/amp kit. My brother and I have been wondering how we go bout wiring it up.. heres our problem:

The sub has 2 pairs of wiring joins
Sub BOX only has 1 wire.

How do we go about wiring the SUB (speaker) to the sub-box.

(just to simplify: ) the speaker itself has 4 wire connections (2 pairs)
we want to know how we get the one wire from the box to connect to 4 connections on the speaker (refer to diag)

diag link.

just looking at that I just confused myself.. lol, so I took a pic to simplify it MORE..

sub link.

box link.
hope that helps.

Last edited:

Locksmiff

Reaction score
Ironic it's Clarion ;) . If I was you I would add another set to the sub box and wire both to them in case one day you need to utilise both connectors.

If ya feel like though, it only needs one to be connected. I don't know why, but just for the record. I have all Clarion gear, 2 x 12's 1 x 10, 6 x splits 2 x 400 2 chan amps and 2 x 400 4 chan amps and spare parts brought from Clarion to put other clarion gear through out. It actually has the approval etc from Clarion, so I have to stick to what they say to a degree as well.

Just curious what amp you running the sub with ??

Last edited:

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty

Locksmiff

Reaction score
tr3nt said:
Alright your gonna need to use those extra connections, to get the 2 ohmness from the amp to better driver your woofer. I have APX400.4 x 2 one is for the 10 inch and rears and the other is for the fronts and centres. I have for the 12's APX400.2 x 2, bridged and one for each woofer, so it may give you an idea.

I would yeah utilise the etra connections to get the amp to go 2 ohm.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Ok, can you say that in REAL simple terms, im a newb to sound installs, i mean basically can you tell me what wire goes where? :eek: thanks

Locksmiff

Reaction score
tr3nt said:
Ok, can you say that in REAL simple terms, im a newb to sound installs, i mean basically can you tell me what wire goes where? :eek: thanks
I'll go one better and take some pics for ya soonish. If I remember that is, of exactly what wire goes to where.

I wouldn't mind hearing what else ya got and how ya have planned to hook it all up.

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
Trent, All you need to do is bridge the two subwoofers together change the amp to "mono" and connect the wire so you have 2 subs driving off the one input.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Trent, All you need to do is bridge the two subwoofers together change the amp to "mono" and connect the wire so you have 2 subs driving off the one input.

..right.. that could work.. :confused: lol. I think I get it. (Comes to setting this stuff up, im a a-grade dumbass.

I wouldn't mind hearing what else ya got and how ya have planned to hook it all up.

I have:
Kenwood KDC-1023S head unit
FLY 6" 120W 3 Way rear's
(yet to be installed) cheapy 190W 6" for the front

I'm going to wire the 4 6" to the head unit and have the Sub being driven with the amp.

Locksmiff

Reaction score
Any chance you can take that amp back and get a 2 chan 400 ?? The woofers NOMINAL is around 200 ish, not 500 or 600. The AMPS NOMINAL in bridged mode is going to be around 100 watts to a 4 ohm load. The AMP is going to be under powering (driving it to its full extent) your woofer by about 100, unless you

A: Get a bigger AMP
B: Make the AMP think the woofer is a 2 ohm load, so there for less resistance.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
no chance of that happening..
I was told by the bloke that the amp will be perfect for the sub, he said he used to run it with the sub before he got 4 subs.