Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring up a switch to the thermo fan?

VNracer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
My fan isn't working in my VN. I found this out after a long period in traffic when the car heated right up. I already have a switch in my car under the steering wheel which was installed when I got the car. I was thinking that this may have been for the fan but it wasn't conected. I've heard about poeple wiring up a switch in the car to turn on the thermo fan, so i was thinking it could be running to the fan already and just need a wire reconected. (where would the switch conect??)

Any info would be great.
I've checked the fan fuses already and flushed my radiator.
I want to get the fan fixed and see if thats the only reason my cars heating up and that there arnt any therostat problems.

Don't know alot about Holdens or cars. Any info would be great (DETAILED IF POSSIBLE).
Thanks

Benji

Vote For Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking For A VR - VS Stato V8
yeah i would love this went to a skid pan day and by the time my fan cut in it was to late i realy need a switch so i can just activate it straight away

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
u can just wire it up straight to the batt if u dont know how to wire into the ignition.

All u do is cut ur cable for thermo, wire ur ground to body then run a wire from the thermo positive thru ur switch then thru a fuse then to the batt.

Those missle switches are the go i used to have cheap dick smith swithes n they eventually break from too high current.

Just make sure u fuse it, start small eg 1.5amp n work ur way up till she doesnt blow.

Its easy to do 45min job

If u do know how to wire it to ur ignition it would be better as u dont have to turn it off wen u stop if its running.

I just did mine to the batt just to save time.

VNracer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
All u do is cut ur cable for thermo, wire ur ground to body then run a wire from the thermo positive thru ur switch then thru a fuse then to the batt. Is there any other wires than the ground and positive? Is there a negative wire?

The switch i already have may be broken and need replacing?
The wires from this switch are running to the fuses nd relays under the steering wheel? Is this where u'd wire it to the ignition?

Cheers for ya help

VNracer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
OKay cheers guys, sounds easy enough.

Where is the ECU located?
I know where the fuses and that are.
thanks

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
you got it slightly wrong in the other thread. putting 12v volts directly onto that pin on the ECU could damage the ecu. the ecu switches the ground side of the circuit (negative) not the +12volts side. see other thread for correction. you'll still need to figure out why your thermo fan isn't working cause this mod utilises all the original factory wiring etc

cracker

Reaction score
theres a better way to do it then that, run an earth from...blue,yellow wire from the ecu to an earth hey presto fan turns on not 100% about the colour but cant quite remba

ear099

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore
mate i tried this with my fist fan i wired it upto the ignition so it was all the time the fan lasted the whole of 2 days

run a wire to the fan fron the the cabing put a switch in and then earth the other side this is your negitive cable connect it to the earth side of the fan (black wire) connect positive (blue wire) to the battery and then when stuck in traffic turn it on and off with the switch just make sure that you turn the switch off when you stop the car

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Sorry, misunderstood as to what another post was referring.

Last edited: